PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate level after clean-up crew added

agrusczak
04/19/2006, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Is it typical that the nitrate level of a tank climbs after you introduce a cleanup crew? I cycled my new tank with two clowns, and had the nitrates down to 2 ppm. A moderate amount of brown algae started to grow in the tank. After adding an appropriately-sized crew to the tank, they cleaned up most all of the algae within a week's time, but then the nitrate level in the tank climbed back up. Will it come back down again?

I have been skimming all along with a Seaclone 100 skimmer, which is currently extracting a fair amount of sludge, but just to be safe I just got a Coralife SuperSkimmer 65 to replace it; I'll install it this weekend.
My first guess is that the clean-up crew presents a bioload just like the fish do, so I figured that I should be able to keep the nitrate level down if I install a more dependable skimmer.

For background, the tank is 25 gal with 35lbs live rock and 20 lbs of live sand...

nm354
04/19/2006, 06:11 PM
What are the nitrates up to?
Changing out the skimmer will help out a good bit. If all else you can always do a water change to help out the nitrates. I wouldn't worry about it right now just keep an eye on it and if it keeps going up then do a water change.

leveldrummer
04/19/2006, 06:19 PM
the crew probably creates a small amount of ammonia, which changes to nitrate, also with the removal of the algae, it was using the nitrate... so its a double whammy, do your water changes, and wait it out, the coraline algae should help as it grows in nice.

agrusczak
04/19/2006, 06:42 PM
The nitrate level climbed back up to 40 ppm.

I was under the impression that the presence of nitrates blocked the growth of coralline algae, but not nuisance algae or macroalgae.

I will replace my skimmer this weekend and continue with the periodic 10% water changes. I was mainly just wondering if the cleanup crew was responsible. Everyone is still alive, so I know the spike was not caused by a death of one of the critters.