PDA

View Full Version : New tank questions

mhigg71
04/19/2006, 07:24 PM
Hi all
I am new at this awesome hobby. I have a 36 gallon tank with 40 lbs of base rock 20 lbs of live rock. I started 6 weeks ago with crushed coral base 20 lbs of live sand and the live and base rock. I started with de-chlorinated tap water (bad I know now). I have a sea clone 150 protein skimmer a penguin 350 filter 1 power head 201. my lights are the CORALLIFE with the 10000k duel florescent and a 65w true Actinic 03 blue florescent. Over the last few weeks I have started adding critters to my system. I started with the advise of a LFS guy 3 green chromies and a blue damsel. I have added a cleaner shrimp and 6 turbo snails and 10 red leg hermit crabs. Last week end added 1 lettuce slug and 1 tomato clown. The water is reading 0.1 ammonia PH 8.4 Nitrate 5.0 and nitrite 0.1. I am getting bright green algae on my base rock with spotty purple chorine algae starting to grow. I have added calcium and iodine as directed. Calcium is reading 400ppm. Will the green algae turn to the purple or am I in trouble? I am also using a nitrite sponge in my penguin filter. All are doing well in the tank and I check the water daily. Please let me know if i am doing anything wrong. Thanks
in advance.

ej1698
04/19/2006, 07:36 PM
give it time, the coralline will come.

ej

mhigg71
04/19/2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks I will...

jdm01
04/19/2006, 09:04 PM
I have a damsel that has worked out fine. Some will tell you the damsel is a mistake. They can be kind of aggressive.

You will grow to regret the SeaClone - sorry!!! Save up, you will want/need a new skimmer soon. Otherwise, be patient and save money, you will get addicted soon!

Danster
04/19/2006, 09:08 PM
Is your sea clone skimming well? Your parameters look good. It seems your doing everything right. I wouldn't worry...though I would rather go with a phosphate sponge or reactor over a nitrite sponge...only because its phosphates and nitrates that will cause algae. Hope it goes well for you.

mhigg71
04/19/2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Danster
I ment to say Nitrate sponge. It is the KENT Marine Granular Nitrate absorber. The Sea Clone works good I think. It has been foaming since the start but I have to adjust the air flow to get optimum performance.I am new at this so if you could tell me how a good skimmer works I will tell you if mine is working well or not. Thanks