PDA

View Full Version : Stocking ideas?

bodangit0024
04/19/2006, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone, my tank is almost through with the nitrite cycle on my 60 gal so now I'm worrying about what kind of fish I'm going to put in my tank. I have 130W of light so I plan on some darker polyps and soft corals later on, and I made a very stupid move and added a frozen food cube before I got my rock and I've got super high nitrites. I went to the most trustworthy LFS and he told me not to change any water once I finished cycling. Any opinions on this? I didn't know what to think of this, but I really trust this guy, he won't sell me something he thinks won't do well in my tank. Also, I don't know anything about what kind of fish I'm going to put in it. So far I've decided on:

1 Clarkii clown
1 Yellow clown goby
1 Kaudern's cardinal

Yeah, I'm confused. Please help!

poppin_fresh
04/19/2006, 07:52 PM
I think he might be right, in that you dont have any livestock to pollute the water, so a water change is unecessary. If you haven't added your live rock, now would be a good time to do it. Even cured rock can create mini cycles, which you should go ahead and get out of the way before you add fish.

P.S. your stocking list doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

bodangit0024
04/19/2006, 08:02 PM
I've already added the LR, that's why the nitrites got so ridiculously high. The guy meant that I shouldn't do a w/c at all, even when I get fish. My nitrates would be at incredible levels by then. Also, that stocking list is like tiny! What other popular fish would go good in there? I'm thinking maybe a dwarf angel like a coral beauty.

poppin_fresh
04/19/2006, 08:14 PM
What do you mean by rediculous? What is the reading and with what test kit?

If you want to lower the nitrates you will have to do water changes before you add fish. They can tolerate some nitrates, but not large amounts. If you dont reduce it with water changes algea will most likely grow like crazy and take care of it for you.

As far as stocking goes, just do some more research. You shouldn't add them all at once anyway, so it gives you time to figure out what will work. If your like everyone else you will change your mind 10X anyway.

bodangit0024
04/20/2006, 05:51 AM
My nitrites were off the chart or close to it, so probably about 5 or 6 ppm. Also, I have a new problem. :mad2: :mad: There is a @%^$%*¤â€Â*@!#@ leak on the bottom in the back on the sealant. We're going to patch it with silicone as it starts up sometimes and dies down other times, but it has already shorted out one powerstrip so I left everything except the powerhead off last night (the powerhead was plugged directly into teh wall). Well, that's what's up in my world today.