PDA

View Full Version : emerald crab disease/stress???

jsbyers1
04/19/2006, 08:11 PM
purchased a quarter sized emerald crab approx 1 1/2 weeks ago, eats fine, very active. Over tha past few days his shell ahs started to show small white/tan patches till now his back is near covered. He is still eating however has been seen less frequently.

Any suggestions where to start???

J

Paintbug
04/20/2006, 09:06 AM
sounds like its getting ready to molt.

Sk8r
04/20/2006, 09:08 AM
You may soon find what looks like a dead crab. It's just his shed shell. The crab will go into hiding for days. It's an indication he's growing.

jsbyers1
04/20/2006, 06:22 PM
Is this shedding of the shell what is termed "molting"? Or is there more to molting than I know???

Paintbug
04/20/2006, 06:34 PM
when the crab molts you may find then entire shell. i say may find because they some times get lost in the LR. they molt just like most creatures with an exsoskeleton, they come off in one peice. you will see where it popped out from the rear. you will think your crab died, then about 3-4 days later it will pop up on the LR.

jsbyers1
04/20/2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the prompt response !!! Great pictures of your crabs. I have to wonder if that one in NYC celebrating was the mugger who took my wallet!!!

Paintbug
04/20/2006, 07:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7216734#post7216734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jsbyers1
Thanks for the prompt response !!! Great pictures of your crabs. I have to wonder if that one in NYC celebrating was the mugger who took my wallet!!!

what can i say i love my crabs :confused: :lol:

sassyfishy
04/21/2006, 07:51 AM
Two of my emeralds recently molted. When I found the COMPLETE shell of the second one, I thought for sure he had died and gone to crabby heaven. With the exception of seeing no eyes in the molt, everything else was there, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the heck he got out of the shell if it was a molt!!

Sure enough though, the next day - there he was....larger than life. I can't get over how much bigger they can be once they've molted. They leave their shell and come out 30-50% larger!!! Not kidding. And I love the "shiny" new shell... it's so shiny it looks fake...like plastic!:p