PDA

View Full Version : Hello

unimike
04/19/2006, 08:14 PM
Hi there,

I am new to this community and I have started this hobby not too long ago...I have learned a great deal about this hobby and so far it is interesting. Now I have a concern when the summer comes I do know my water temperture will skyrocket because for past 2 days it have been hot and the water ran up to the mid 80s when I was gone working. Is it a good idea to unplug the heater to control the temperture ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Michael

Fast Fred
04/19/2006, 08:22 PM
Michael,

Welcome to reef Central!

You heater should have a thermostat on it, either built-in, or otherwise. Generaly, we keep the tank temps between 78 and 82 degrees. Some folks are different, but that's about where most of us are. Set your thermostat to 78 degrees. It should be sized right to keep the tank from falling below 78.

As far as overheating, fans will help aid in evaporation. Evaporation causes cooling. Aim a fan at the water on hot days. Is it safe to assume that the room that the tank is in has air conditioning? AC will help to cool the tank as well, by it's coolness, and by reducing the humidity in the room, and thus aiding in evaporation. If you have glass lids on the tank, look into taking them off, unless you own an escape artist such as an eel or octopus, etc.

Good luck and enjoy our addiction.

unimike
04/19/2006, 08:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210158#post7210158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fast Fred
Michael,

Welcome to reef Central!

You heater should have a thermostat on it, either built-in, or otherwise. Generaly, we keep the tank temps between 78 and 82 degrees. Some folks are different, but that's about where most of us are. Set your thermostat to 78 degrees. It should be sized right to keep the tank from falling below 78.

As far as overheating, fans will help aid in evaporation. Evaporation causes cooling. Aim a fan at the water on hot days. Is it safe to assume that the room that the tank is in has air conditioning? AC will help to cool the tank as well, by it's coolness, and by reducing the humidity in the room, and thus aiding in evaporation. If you have glass lids on the tank, look into taking them off, unless you own an escape artist such as an eel or octopus, etc.

Thanks for the welcome, if I set it at 78, I am worried it would go up to 90s ? because its currently is set at 73 to 74 degrees, yet it still going off-on cycle even though the water temperture is hotter than the thermostat is set at. Unfortunately I don't have the air conditionor, the guy at the LFS recommended me to buy the chiller but I don't want to spend $500 just for cooling so there have to be the alternative way so I am going to try for the fan idea.

Thanks!

Fast Fred
04/19/2006, 08:39 PM
If the thermostat is set at 78 on the heater, and the water is over 78 and it's still coming on, then you have a bad or miscalibrated heater. The critical thing with reef tanks is not so much temperature, but consistancy of temperature. Your daily temp swings should be kept to a minimum - say 3-4 degrees tops.

Try this: Get the water to 78 as checked by at least two thermometers. Turn the dial on the heater till the light just goes off, and stop. That is 78 degrees. With the lights off and the room cooler than 78, see if the heater comes on at all if the tank is above 78. Also watch and see that it DOES come on if the tank falls below 78.

Another way to help keep the tank stable, temperature and otherwise is to add a sump. This increases water volume, and increases stability.

The key to a successful reef is small, gradual changes and stability. Only bad things happen quickly in a reef.

Sk8r
04/19/2006, 08:40 PM
I use a pillar fan in the base: takes up very little room. Available at your local Walmart equivalent.

unimike
04/19/2006, 08:48 PM
I have been planning to purchase the sump but I have the limited funding where I can purchase the equipments and such. I have been aware of the temperture problem since I have been having the large swings between 76 to 84 so I am going to try to leave it set and 78 and see what happens.

unimike
04/19/2006, 08:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210279#post7210279 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
I use a pillar fan in the base: takes up very little room. Available at your local Walmart equivalent.

Wouldn't the common household fan work ?

Kevinnap
04/19/2006, 08:56 PM
Get one of the small fans with a clip base. Clip it so it blows over the water of your tank. Leave your tank uncovered (no glass on top). Shorten your light cycle.

unimike
04/19/2006, 09:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210158#post7210158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fast Fred
Michael,

Welcome to reef Central!

I have set the heater to 78, it kept going on and off and the stick-on thermostat have the green LED on "80" while the floating thermostat in the water that says 82, my heater is defective ?

Fast Fred
04/19/2006, 10:29 PM
Either defective or the thermostat is out of calibration.