PDA

View Full Version : flower pods hard to take care of?

andiruleu
04/19/2006, 08:17 PM
well right now i have a few polyps, an orange zoo, some other normal looking zoas.. GSP.. and i was just wondering if it was hard to take care of flower pods? i think thats what they're called.. i heard sometimes they just die??? out of no where??

John Kelly
04/20/2006, 01:01 PM
haha... you mean flowerpot corals (Goniopora & Alveopora). Do research first....lots. Sometimes they do just die, but it isn't their fault.

blackie lawless
04/20/2006, 01:42 PM
Flowerpot corals can be tricky. I had one go from absolutely stunning to absolutely dead. Better to be prepared before you introduce one into your tank. Like JK above said, do your research.

Sports Girl
04/20/2006, 01:56 PM
The main thing that makes them "just die off" is starvtion. They need proper placement, water flow and direction, and feeding them can be tricky. They need to be fed directly, but very delicately so as not to make them retract. Most people say they have them for a few months to a year w/them looking "healthy" and then they suddenly die. I've had one for about 6 months now, and so far so good. Research is the key, I did plenty before I got mine. Google "goniopora" for some good reading and go to goniopora.org for helpful info. Hope that helps.