PDA

View Full Version : Heniochus Black and White Butterflyfish

findgnemo
04/19/2006, 08:31 PM
are these fish hardy and easy to take care of? and can they be put in a 55g?

impulse
04/19/2006, 08:58 PM
These fish grow to around 10", so unfortunately will be unsuitable for your tank.

kypatriot
04/19/2006, 09:06 PM
I had asked my LFS to get me a pair for my 135, as I had read that they prefer to be in groups. He got a pair in, but they fought.

When I saw them, one looked like it had an infection or something, with little rough places on it, and he told me later that they were wounds from the other fish. He turned on the lights one morning to see the one attacking the other, and the 'victim' ended up dying despite being moved out.

Anybody know why these fish might fight to the death like that?

impulse
04/19/2006, 09:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210458#post7210458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kypatriot
I had asked my LFS to get me a pair for my 135, as I had read that they prefer to be in groups. He got a pair in, but they fought.

When I saw them, one looked like it had an infection or something, with little rough places on it, and he told me later that they were wounds from the other fish. He turned on the lights one morning to see the one attacking the other, and the 'victim' ended up dying despite being moved out.

Anybody know why these fish might fight to the death like that?

I'ts a territorial thing, which is OK in the wild, but the restriction of an aquarium puts pressure on them. I think that I would look for a LFS with a bit more knowledge, or research more before choosing your fish. Here is an excellent site detailing most tropical marines:http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/spectype.htm

kypatriot
04/19/2006, 09:32 PM
This is where I got my info
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/heniochu.htm

They've never given me bad info before....

Fast Fred
04/19/2006, 10:49 PM
It is my understanding that Henniochus should be kept in a shoal of 3 or more fish. This, I'm told, keeps them from fighting.