PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer ???

Vanquishxxxx
04/19/2006, 09:07 PM
I have a 55g tank, FO, how important is a skimmer??

_K_E_P_
04/19/2006, 09:44 PM
You could easily go without one, if you didn't have spare cash round. But your water quality will go up dramaticly with a skimmer. I would recommend one!

kau_cinta_ku
04/19/2006, 10:50 PM
i agree a skimmer is a great thing to have but only being a fish only tank you should be able to get away with just water changes

KEITHMC
04/19/2006, 11:18 PM
the clss's are a very good skimmer for the money IMHO!

PatMayo
04/19/2006, 11:26 PM
If it's fish only and you don't have a crushed coral sand bed. It would help to at least have a hang on back if you don't have a skimmer. If you have lots of live rock that will help as well.

Regards,

Pat

chip721
04/20/2006, 09:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210475#post7210475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vanquishxxxx
I have a 55g tank, FO, how important is a skimmer?? A skimmer is not an absolute necessity. But it can help prevent your water quality from slowly slipping into decline. With 55g I'm sure you have your eye on several fishes already. If you keep the fishload moderate (hah), are diligent with water changes (hah hah), and don't overfeed (hah hah hah), you can be ok.

On the other hand, if you saw and smelled the gunk a good skimmer can export, you wouldn't want that stuff in your tank. Personally I wouldn't run a tank without one. I've tried 3 different skimmers from low end to high. There is some truth to "you get what you pay for." But in this hobby that doesn't always apply.

If and when your budget allows, I would seek out a skimmer. You can even search the Sellers Forum for a used one. Skimmers themselves don't "wear out" so to speak; as long as they're not cracked or broken. But you will want to pay attention to the model, size, and age of the pump that pushes the skimmer. Pump seals and impellers do experience wear. You don't have to bust the bank to find a decent performer at a moderate price. Good luck and stop staring at that cycling tank;)

Amphiprion
04/20/2006, 10:28 AM
Definitely not necessary, but it certainly keeps things cleaner, healthier, and...well, easier. Besides, should be doing those frequent water changes whether you have a skimmer or not.

Vanquishxxxx
04/20/2006, 10:33 AM
Haha chip, staring at a empty tank is what i apparently do best rihgt now. Thanks for the commetns guyS. Hang on is deifnitly what i iwill be looking at, since i have no overflow.