PDA

View Full Version : Pump is to strong

Dollarbill
04/19/2006, 09:26 PM
I have a 180 tank and an iwaki rl70 pump. The pump wants to pump all of my water out of my sump into the tank if i dont restrict it alot....which puts tiny air bubbles in the "return water" in the tank. (and it looks terrible). Is this pump to big? This thing is really impressive but i dont think i need a pump this strong do I? Thanks db

kraze3
04/19/2006, 09:28 PM
Well you can look at it as too big, or you could look at it as your overflow is too small. Depending on how many gph you are looking for, youll have to just one or the other.

Dollarbill
04/19/2006, 09:46 PM
Ya it looks like im going to have to branch a T off of the bulkhead on the bottom for dual drainage hoses. Maybe move to a 1inch bulkhead opening. Tahnkx

BadOleRoss
04/20/2006, 03:22 AM
Reroute the return line instead. After the return leaves your pump/sump place a "T" in the line there. 1 line going back to the maintank and 1 returning to the sump. Put a ballcock on the line going to the MT to contol flow. Extra water from the pump should just return to the sump. If you are using an overflow this should solve your problems without changing the size of the overflow.

Dollarbill
04/20/2006, 06:48 AM
Great idea! I think ill do that. Thank you. I do have a ball **** on there now but i have to restrict it so much its causing alot of tiny bubbles in the tank. Im afraid ill burn the pump up if i restrict it any more.