PDA

View Full Version : anemones....?

jwhitlow1031
04/19/2006, 09:48 PM
does anyone know if there are any descent anemones that will do alright under low light? i only have 130 watts pc lights, the anemone could go about 5 inches from the top of the water though... the tank is a softy tank, ill include a pic... the anemone would go to the right of the Xenia... the top right of the rock pile... there's a bit of brownish star polyps right there now, could easily be taken out...
http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL906/4312776/9080079/135026573.jpg

LarryDinNC
04/19/2006, 09:55 PM
I'm a newbie, but from what I've read and minimal experience, your best bet would be a bubble-tip anemone. I also have 130w PC lighting and discovered a BTA as a hitchhiker on a piece of LR I bought. It is about 1 ft below light but hasn't shown any attempt to move. I've had it since 4/1/06 so it's too early to tell how well it will do long term, but so far so good. I bought a Clarkii clown to go with it and the clownfish loves the BTA. I'm not sure how the BTA feels about the clownfish but I believe the feeling is mutual.

btw, your tank looks great!

jwhitlow1031
04/19/2006, 10:05 PM
hey, thanks LarryDinNC... yea, the tanks been a work in progress this isn't the most recent shot either... but im tired of the star polyps so im thinking ill take them off my rocks. a friend of mine has a clam under similar lighting so im thinking ill try one too, think ill put it where those greenish star polyps above of the purple gorgonian next to the shrimp... but i'd like to try a anemone.... my dad wants one too... anyone know if the false perc. clown would pair with a bubble tip?

davocean
04/20/2006, 09:00 AM
I've had an LTA and Sebae under PC's for4 years now, and they are very healthy/ happy ( check my gallery)
Only problem is that they decide where they are going to stay, and whatever they touch will be stressed hard or die.
My nems are about 16" now, and I'm having a problem keeping them from touching corals in my 90.
IMO nems should go in first, let them settle and then add corals,
unless you have alot of space and can easily move your corals. By the way your tank looks really nice.

Amphiprion
04/20/2006, 10:34 AM
BTA, LTA, and healthier sebaes can still do well underneath that lighting. My personal recommendation is to try a BTA.

jgoodrich71
04/20/2006, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210856#post7210856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jwhitlow1031
the anemone would go to the right of the Xenia... the top right of the rock pile...

If you really think an anemone will stay were you want it to:lol:
It is going to go where it wants to, not that that spot makes any sense.

CarmieJo
04/20/2006, 11:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7210979#post7210979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jwhitlow1031
hey, thanks LarryDinNC... yea, the tanks been a work in progress this isn't the most recent shot either... but im tired of the star polyps so im thinking ill take them off my rocks. a friend of mine has a clam under similar lighting so im thinking ill try one too, think ill put it where those greenish star polyps above of the purple gorgonian next to the shrimp... but i'd like to try a anemone.... my dad wants one too... anyone know if the false perc. clown would pair with a bubble tip?

Have you read the Host Anemone thread at the top of this forum? There is a table that lists which clowns host which anemones. Here is the direct link to the article http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf I think you will find it helpful.

:fish1:

IslandCrow
04/20/2006, 12:29 PM
OK, I just had to chuckle a bit when you talked about where the anemone would go. The anemone will go wherever the anemone wants to go, which will more likely than not be exactly where you do Not want it to go.

michaeldaly
04/20/2006, 12:38 PM
My anemone travelled all aroung my tank before it setteled. It did not stay where I wanted it but rather found a spot that it likes.

By the way your tank looks good!

jwhitlow1031
04/20/2006, 07:59 PM
yea.... lol hmm i forgot that they like to move around a bunch, but thanks, im really getting into this hoby...