PDA

View Full Version : Alum to avoid Cloudiness?

powerbuddy
04/19/2006, 10:29 PM
I just added sand to my tank and experiencing cloudiness. I was planning on adding some alum for the subtrate to settle at the bottom of the tank? Do you think it is ok to do it?

Sk8r
04/19/2006, 10:36 PM
Everybody gets cloudy water for a few days. Do not add alum. I may be wrong, but I think it's aluminum, a metal, and you don't want any metal in your water. You want that water as pure of additives as can be, and it will settle all on its own. The salt you added should have as much of trace elements as you possibly need at this stage. By tomorrow you should be able to see a few hazy things. I hope you used ro/di water or ro, BTW.

PatMayo
04/19/2006, 10:38 PM
[welcome]

No aluminum is not good for a SW tank. It will leach into the water and is not good for corals or fish.

Read this,

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm

If you need some more help this is the place to get it.

Regards,

Pat

powerbuddy
04/19/2006, 10:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7211146#post7211146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Everybody gets cloudy water for a few days. Do not add alum. I may be wrong, but I think it's aluminum, a metal, and you don't want any metal in your water. You want that water as pure of additives as can be, and it will settle all on its own. The salt you added should have as much of trace elements as you possibly need at this stage. By tomorrow you should be able to see a few hazy things. I hope you used ro/di water or ro, BTW.

Nope, I used Tap Water and conditioned it.

Thanx for all you guy's help, its a great community!