PDA

View Full Version : diatom algae bloom

Eddie Ronquillo
04/19/2006, 11:03 PM
does anyone know how diatoms grow and how to get rid of them. my live rock is covered in it. brown rusty color doesnt look good.

thanks for the help

KEITHMC
04/19/2006, 11:06 PM
Get a clean up crew and what kind of lighting are you running and for how long per/day

kau_cinta_ku
04/19/2006, 11:10 PM
if it's a new tank. you will get them also, it's all part of being a new tank. next will be the hair alage. but a good cleanup crew will help keep it under control

ChunksInClemson
04/20/2006, 12:15 AM
I would also recommend using Algone. I had diatoms for the first couple of weeks but after using the Algone product, it took only two weeks to wipe out the diatoms. It only helps with aesthetics obviously so you need to find the root of the problem (probably phosphates and high nutrient levels) but Algone does work!

seamist
04/20/2006, 12:20 AM
agreed if it was a new set up you will be getting alot of them, add clean up crews and water movement would help alots.

Fiddler
04/20/2006, 12:46 AM
astrea snails love my diatoms, they clean the glass all day then sleep, then do it again, interesting to watch, like a catapillar eating a leaf

Avi
04/20/2006, 07:15 AM
I'd agree with the advice you've been given...in short, the problem should recede and pass. But if for some reason it doesn't, and you continue to have a problem for a prolonged period, you can put a phosphate reactor on the tank with Rowaphos which also removes silicates and the problem will be resolved for sure. But, I'd wait and see if it doesn't pass on its own because in all likelihood, it will.

agrusczak
04/20/2006, 10:31 AM
I added Astrea, Ceriths and Trochus snails, and within a week all my my diatoms were consumed.

funman1
04/20/2006, 11:39 AM
Yep That's what I did too and same result..