PDA

View Full Version : food

huladaman
04/20/2006, 12:38 AM
I just restocked my mantis tank with 5 blue legged hermits, 5 scarlets, 2 emerald crabs and some snails, and my peacock just moved around and whooped almost everything I put in. It was alot of fun to watch, but it almost made me tired watching him batter every shell he came to. Is this common, should I only add 1 or 2 at a time? What do you guys do?

mickey85
04/20/2006, 08:39 AM
My platysoma is so laid back that I dump in a dozen blue legs per month and just let him go at it. I put the last ones in 6 weeks ago, and there is still one crawling around. That reminds me, I've got to get more this weekend.

Docbones
04/20/2006, 09:43 AM
I do the same as Mickey a dozen or so at a time and replace as needed. But i also feed frozen Mysis a few times a week and that seems to have slowed down his rampage on the hermits.

PaulieWalnuts
04/20/2006, 11:13 AM
i have never seen my mantis (i have no idea what type) attack any of the snails, hermits, or damsels that i put in his tank. he is very small (maybe an inch). but out of the 3 damsels i put in 2 are missing! so he may have eaten them? i also feed him mysis and last week i gave him squid, which he grabbed and appeared to love!!!!

is squid ok for a mantis?

thanks

josh

mickey85
04/20/2006, 12:13 PM
Some species eat octopus in the wild...I can't see how it's much different.