PDA

View Full Version : cycling

sir_dudeguy
04/20/2006, 07:20 AM
when cycling, how high should the amonia and nitrites go? Is there a point to where they are too high? If so, do you just do a water change?
thanks

oh also, is it ok to have hermit crabs in there during cycle? just to clean up?

LittlePuff
04/20/2006, 07:58 AM
Not sure about the levels.
Why do you have inverts when the tank isn't cycled?

Kim

Scuba Oz
04/20/2006, 08:21 AM
I would not let the amonia get past .5- 1 on the test. When it is getting that high do a water change. Trites wont get too high anyways before turning to trates. Just keep the ammonia in check and you will be okay.

Good Luck and
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/526049513Reefnut_welcome.gif
TO REEF CENTRAL

Ibrakeforreefs
04/20/2006, 08:26 AM
You generally try to KEEP ALL LIVESTOCK out of the tank until it is cycled.

What are your parameter?

Or are you just wondering?

MiddletonMark
04/20/2006, 08:56 AM
IMO, there's no reason not to start a regular water change practice once the cycle starts. You're not going to slow it down, just perhaps keep more life on the rocks.

I generally like to keep any `spikes' as minimal as possible - would change water once the levels start to rise.

sir_dudeguy
04/20/2006, 09:39 PM
ok thanks. And just to clarify, no i dont have inverts in yet, i was just wondering becuase i was told to start the cycle put food in there and just let it sit, and the cycle would start. I have no liverock in there, just lace rock. The tank still looks nice w/nothing but rock in there, so i just wanted to know if i could have somethin to clean the food off the sand to keep it lookin normal, thats all.
thanks