PDA

View Full Version : Dark clouds on the horizon!!!!!

Raiderwig
04/20/2006, 08:07 AM
Hello all,

Here is my problem.....In the next day or so (maybe starting on Monday) The building I live in are doing balcony repairs. So they are removing the balcony railings and "jackhammering the concrete" to make way for new concrete.
My 65 gallon tank (reef) is located up against the outer wall of my unit right beside the balcony door:(
I'm freaking because I'm worried about the "vibration" that this jackhammering is causing. The floor under my tank and our whole unit is solid concrete which the balcony is also attached too.
I'm thinkking that my tank is in danger of a serious earthquake in the next day or two.
Any advice on helping my tank make it through this? Being at work through the day doesn't help since I won't know if anything happens like my tank "cracks" because of the vibration...
Thanks

Scuba Oz
04/20/2006, 08:26 AM
Sounds to me like a temp move is in order. I know I would move my tank if it was right next to where they are going to jackhammer. It most likely will shatter the tank, and will kill everything in it with the vibration, thats a lot of decibals going thru a tank that close.

skeeter_ca
04/20/2006, 08:26 AM
I had my front sidewalk and porch pad replaced a couple of years back. They jackhammered right up to the front door. My whole house shook like a 7.0 earthquake had just hit. But it did it for about an hour. i had things falling off shelves and walls. If i were you i'd call in sick and stay home to watch the tank to make sure nothing happens. And if something does you will be happy you were there.

Sk8r
04/20/2006, 08:52 AM
Get some tubs and barrels. If it gets bad, start moving and pumping, favorite specimens first. You can use your lights for heating. Emptying will relieve stress on your tank, and you can replace things---hey, do that general tidy-up and cleaning you've been meaning to. I agree with calling in sick. You will be, if you come home to disaster.

Raiderwig
04/20/2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks for your replies:)

I talked to one of the guys and they will be jackhammering sometime next week. I'm going to take your advice and take a leave day on the day I know they will be drilling.
This totally sucks since a few wks ago I just totally re-aquascaped my tank after it's been running for a yr. I finally have it the way I like :mad2:
I guess I will drain most of the water and move the coral and LR to rubbermaid bins for the day. Not sure what to do with the fish?

Raiderwig
05/05/2006, 06:14 PM
UPDATE:D

Just a update to this post. They came and drilled and everything worked out ok!!
I emptied my tank about 3/4 into a couple of rubbermaid bins. Placing some coral and LR in them as well. After about 9 hrs I was able to fill up my tank again and place everything back where it belonged.
All fish are fine and no damamge to the tank.
thanks again for your help with this post.