PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Now, Necessary Equipment for SW

ClemsSC7
04/20/2006, 08:26 AM
Okay, now once I have my tank ready to set up, I know this sounds dumb but I just want to make sure I will have everything I need (I want to have a great filter system)so please let me know all of the necessary equipment down to the finest detail if you can and please give me your preferences with a brief description. If you can do that for me I'd greatly appreciate the help and will definetly credit you guys with setting up my tank. I do know this may be asking alot but I just figured I'd ask and see if anyone can help.
Again I have a 55gal Tank that I have converted from FW to SW so please hook me up with some information, I'm trying to read as much as I possibly can daily on here and various other websites so if you know of any good reading for me I'd appreciate that too. Thanks everyone in advance.

Scuba Oz
04/20/2006, 09:06 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/526049513Reefnut_welcome.gif
TO REEF CENTRAL

I take it this 55g is not reef ready so you have no sump? So I will describe one way you could do it. Get yourself a good HOT (hang on tank) skimmer, I will suggest the Aqua C Remora Pro (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AQUAC-REMORAP&Category_Code=AquaC) . Its a great HOT skimmer and will do the job on a 55g.

Its hard to answer much more without knowing what you plan to keep. Lights would be the next subject and that can range from Power Compacts to a Metal Halide system, or T-5 for that matter. It all depends on if you want corals, just fish, a mix of the two. Its best to get lights you can grow into, so you wont need to upgrade later.

Get your self a refractometer (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_thermometers_refractometers_hydrometers_captive_purity_refractometer.asp?CartId=) . This will measure your salt mix correctly the first time. Also you will need a thermometer, possibly a heater and good test kits. I recomend Salifert test kits, they are the best and accurate. Also look into some powerheads for flow, I recommend MaxiJets or a tunze for a 55g.

This is all for equipment, now for rock and sand. The sand bed is up to you and I will let you research what you want, as for rock I would look into buying 100-125 pounds. This can be bought all over the place so again research is key, Premium Aquatics, Dr Macs, your local fish store ect all has liverock, just research the best cost and dont forget to add shipping when you research.

If I am missing something I am sure someone will chime in, but I think I got it all. Let us know what you want to keep and we can let you know about lights.

Good Luck

ClemsSC7
04/20/2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your help thus far, As for what I'd like to put in it I apologize for leaving that out. I'd like to have a mixture of coral and fish in the tank. Of course as far as the fish are concerned I'd like to get a clown fish as my first fish but after that I don't know what all I would expand to just yet. Hopefully that helps answer your question to my question haha. Thanks again for the help on this.

ClemsSC7
04/20/2006, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah what about filtration? what is a good recommended filtration system?

Amphiprion
04/20/2006, 11:30 AM
I personally prefer the "live rock" approach to filtration, sort of a modified berlin style (which I guess most tanks now fit that same bill, anyway). Basically provide plenty of live rock, around a pound per gallon (give or take 10-20% depending upon what you like), adequate circulation (by closed loop systems or power heads), and adequate protein skimming (preferably one of the better brands out there--don't skimp on this). The last one is not absolutely necessary, but definitely makes things a bit easier.

ClemsSC7
04/20/2006, 02:00 PM
I have no sump either, any preferences there?

Teeka
04/20/2006, 02:14 PM
Also have you treated the tank with anything? Such as ich meds.

ClemsSC7
04/20/2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah I've put in QuICK Cure before because it is a converted FW tank to SW (in the process of anyhow)

ClemsSC7
04/21/2006, 08:47 AM
I have another question, do I need an RO/DI system? I've read about that and I can't figure out if that is something I should have to start out with or something I can get later on. That is another thing are there things that I do need and can buy but I can get them cheaper and be alright? I know I don't need to cut corners on the Protein Skimmer but things of that nature. What are other things I certainly do not need to find a cheaper version of? what can I buy cheaper and be safe with? I'm not trying to be cheap about it but I am trying to figure out a budget that I can do this with cause it is adding up quite considerably. Thanks for the help again

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2006, 08:53 AM
there are alot of good ways to cut corners in this hobby however a few things that i wouldn't cut on are RODI filters trust me i have the cheap ebay one and now a purelyh2o and the ebay's are junk. lighting, skimmer, and heater.

smleee
04/21/2006, 10:51 AM
RO/DI is mandatory, unless you're buying from LFS, but even then you will need a TDS meter or at least have them show you the TDS when you buy. LFS are notorious for not changing the filters in their RO/DI and having bad water. If you're buying saltwater from them have them show you the TDS of the fresh first.

eee

Fast Fred
04/21/2006, 12:30 PM
A sump is a good thing to have that could be done now or later. You can DIY a sump when the time comes. The reason I mention a sump is that it may affect you skimmer choice now. Buy the best skimmer you can afford and get 1 pound of rock per gallon of water in your system. To go cheap...try 10-15 pounds of live rock and the rest in base rock. Base rock is dry rock but will become 'live' in a few weeks when seeded with live rock.

Sand is optional. A few of us on the 'Dark Side :strooper: ' are bare bottom and I, for one, feel it is a much better alternative than sand that traps all the junk and leads to a ton of problems later.

ClemsSC7
04/21/2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks Fast Fred, Interesting that you are an Electrical Contractor I am also employed by an Electrical Contractor just thought I'd point that out just cause I think that is cool. I appreciate the heads up on the sand idea and I'll definetly take that into consideration, what all future problems does it cause? Something that can be fixed easily or maintenance wise or what? Thanks for the info though I definetly appreciate that since my funds are limited right now. Keep me informed if you have any other suggestions or if you could let me know what all you have in use for your tank that helps me when making my decision also. Thanks again.