PDA

View Full Version : new protein skimmer

r0bin
04/20/2006, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone,
I recently set upmy new 75 gal FOWLR. I am using my old prizm skimmer which I dont much care for. What would everyone suggest in the way of HOB skimmers for my tank? Right now I only have live rock and this skimmer for my filtration and a bag of chemi-pure in an old marineland filter that is way to small. Thanks.

Ps would everone agree, I need a better skimmer?

chip721
04/20/2006, 11:19 AM
I've heard good things about the Coralife Super Skimmer (needlewheel), but don't own one, so can't speak from experience. I do own the Aqua-C Remora and Remora Pro (spray injection). They're moderately priced and IMO moderate performers. I say this because my experience with them has been, they are somewhat inconsistent. However, they will accomodate a variety of pump sizes and they have excellent customer service. I also own a Deltec MCE600. It's pricey, but IMO one of the best HOB skimmers currently available.

Amphiprion
04/20/2006, 11:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7213799#post7213799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chip721
I also own a Deltec MCE600. It's pricey, but IMO one of the best HOB skimmers currently available.

This is going to be one of your best bets. Just make sure you budget can allow for it. IMO, it is worth it.

r0bin
04/20/2006, 11:48 AM
I cant even find where you buy a Deltec, any others out there?

Amphiprion
04/20/2006, 11:51 AM
Deltec USA (www.deltecusa.us) is the online distributor for the United States. You will find that Doug, the owner, is more than willing to offer customer service or any advice you may need.

chip721
04/20/2006, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7214007#post7214007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r0bin
I cant even find where you buy a Deltec, any others out there? Depending on where you live, you can find local dealers. Otherwise you can contact Doug directly here (http://www.deltecusa.us/).

r0bin
04/20/2006, 01:15 PM
ok thank you very much for the website that was kind, but 468.00 for a skimmer? Does anyone else have any suggestions of brands, under $200.00 please.
On the Aqua Remora which one should i get as far as pump size? The maxi jet 1200? The mags are pretty pricey.

chip721
04/20/2006, 01:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7214672#post7214672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r0bin
...under $200.00 please. On the Aqua Remora which one should i get as far as pump size? The maxi jet 1200? A Remora falls into your price range. I'd get the MJ1200 pump. It's simply reliable. For a few dollars more you can also get a drain fitting on the collection cup. It allows you to drain into an external container (like a milk jug or bucket) in case you're away for a few days. You won't have to worry about a stinky skimmer cup overflowing on you. Don't overlook the Coralife SS too.

r0bin
04/20/2006, 01:46 PM
Do you honestly think the remora is a good one? Just wondering b.c 1st I started with the sea clown, now the prizm which was supposed to be good. I just dont want to waste anymore $ on skimmers. Yet, I can't spend as much for the Deltec even though I know its the best. I really want this to be the last skimmer I buy.

I do like the style of the remora.

Wryknow
04/20/2006, 02:20 PM
It is a big upgrade from your current skimmer. For a 75 gallon tank though I think that you will need to get the remorah-pro version and yes, I would upgrade to the mag pump and also get the over-flow box as well. Both upgrades make a pretty significant difference. MarineDepot.com has good prices.

davefeag
04/20/2006, 02:35 PM
I have the CSS 65 and CSS 125. Once they are setup and broke in they are "set and forget."

Liveaquaria has them very inexpensive.

-Dave

tibbs2
04/20/2006, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't buy the Remora. I had the Urchin which is an in-sump version of the Remora. Inconsistent and I constantly fought cyano with it. My ASM G3 is pulling out much much more bad stuff. I don't have any experience with the coralife but I would bet its better than the Remora.

cybrstarr
04/20/2006, 02:47 PM
I upgraded from a SEA CLOWN to a REMORA PRO (switched out the RIO 1400 to a 1700), and love it. It is pulling a lot of skimmate now compared to my previous. I wasted money buying the Seal Clown, if I had to do it all over I would invest in a skimmer that you will have for a long time. I hate beleiving this motto but "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"

But one thing that I must add is that the REMORA PRO is a very loud unit. I hope that you aren't putting this protein skimmer in you bedroom, or else you might have to sleep with EAR PLUGS!

chip721
04/20/2006, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7214861#post7214861 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by r0bin
Do you honestly think the remora is a good one? I really want this to be the last skimmer I buy. I do like the style of the remora. Robin, forget style! Does it work? I'm on my 3rd skimmer too. And based strictly on my personal experience I have to stand by my original reply ..."IMO the Remora is a decent but moderate performing skimmer". But you'll find others who swear by them (or at them):rolleyes:

I still run a Remora w/MJ1200 on my 29g. I had the Remora Pro w/Mag5 on my 54g. Oh how I hated that huge pump dangling in my tank! Want to cover it up? You'll need the pre-filter box. More money. As an Aqua-C user, I'm certainly not trying to disuade you against it or any other. I'm simply sharing my experiences and I'll leave you with a few last comments.

1. TAKE YOUR TIME. Get other opinions on other skimmers. And if possible, see if someone you know owns one that maybe you can see (and hear) in action before you buy.
2. If you go with Remora, IMO the standard model w/MJ1200 is a little light for a 75g.
3. If you really want this to be your last skimmer, don't make the same mistake I did. Add up the cost of a SeaClone + a Prizim + a Remora, then say "Darn ...if I'd simply waited, I could have gotten a better skimmer". Isn't this fun!!!:p

leveldrummer
04/20/2006, 03:49 PM
i have the css 65, i think its a great skimmer, ive heard it doesnt run as good in a hob function, but they sell a kit that helps it out, i would get that. the needle wheel is great, its quite, and easily adjusted, once tuned in to what you want. it keeps up with your settings great.

r0bin
04/20/2006, 08:29 PM
What about the CPR bak pak? Is it any good?

davefeag
04/20/2006, 09:12 PM
I have one if you want it. Just pay shipping.

-Dave

aquawolf
04/20/2006, 09:26 PM
Good answer davefeag!

Big Al's Online has the Coralife SS 220 for $150, you can check it out at this link:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31845;category_id=3043;pcid1=3203;pcid2=

sidd129
04/20/2006, 10:46 PM
I have a bak pak on my 75. I have a lot of particulate in my water and I constantly have to adjust it.

sidd129
04/20/2006, 10:53 PM
doh' dbl post.

r0bin
04/21/2006, 06:35 AM
so is there anyone that has anything bad to say about the coralife? Maybe I should look at that one. What about the turbo floater that Foster smith sells? ANyone have any experience with that one? What I would really like to have is a skimmer set on the floor behind my tank, but not in a sump, is there a such thing and is it any good?
Also, is there anyway to update my skimmer, the Prism? Like maybe putting in a larger pump or something? Just wondering.

Wryknow
04/21/2006, 09:33 AM
The turboflotators are notoriously finicky to set and adjust. It is my understanding that getting them to work consistently is very difficult because they are sensitive to change. (I have never owned one personally though so take this second-hand advice for what it is.) Putting a larger pump on your Prism will probably just over-flow it.

If you want to keep your costs down then I would try to find a used skimmer on your local fish club board, e-bay, or the for-sale board on reef central. You can find really good deals if you work for them. You need to check the postings regularly and act fast when you find a good deal though! :)

r0bin
04/21/2006, 09:51 AM
Thank you for the tip about a used one. I should do that. Honestly though, its not really the price, I just don't know which one to buy. Seems like everyone here agrees the Coralife is a good one? Honestly, I like the prism b/c its not a lot of stuff hanging in my tank. That is playing a part in my decesion, but in the end I just want the one that skims the best.

r0bin
04/21/2006, 10:01 AM
ok, one more guys, how about the Red Sea Berlin skimmers? Heard anything about them?