PDA

View Full Version : Moveing Tank

Tiger3147
04/20/2006, 09:47 AM
Are there any good threads on moveing a tank semi long distances out there? or are there any tips you guys can give me?

Paintbug
04/20/2006, 12:50 PM
how far are you planning on moving? what size tank?

Tiger3147
04/20/2006, 05:54 PM
about a 3 hour drive. it is a 90 gallon.

Paintbug
04/20/2006, 06:24 PM
get you a few of these (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_air_pumps_hagen_battery_operated.asp?CartId=) . then lots of 5 gallon buckets. i used 10 buckets to move my 75g, you may need 15. the most important part is to have a plan. i moved about an hour away, so i was close enough i setup my RO unit and had some SW mixed and ready for when i got the tank there. so you may want to look into get some more buckets to have some new water made up before hand.

weather is a big part too. i tried to move on a day where it was close to 75-80º. didnt happen. it was about 70º. my temp in the buckets with the fish and corals dropped to about that by the time i got them in the tank. but i didnt loose anything.

my day started by me draining the water into buckets. i got about 5 buckets full of clear water, and started filling them up with LR. that took 2 buckets, then i used one for corals, the other 2 for the fish. i drilled a hole in the fish buckets lids, ran and airline with an airstone into the buckets. turned on the pumps put them to the side. by now i had about 1/3 of the water out, so i started drianing the rest. i filled up 2 more buckets with water. then just drained the rest outside. i kept about half the water from the system. i ended up using 3 buckets for the 150lbs of sand. 10 total. the tank is now empty pretty much, and i had a friend help take it outside. then i rinsed it with a hose, and put it on the truck. i left all the water i could in the sump, put it on the truck. then the stand, finally the buckets. and off we went. then i just reversed the process, topped off the tank with the new SW, turned on the pumps and hoped for the best. next day you couldnt even tell it was moved.

i would recommend bagged your corals if you have any though. i did have a 14 head Trumpet become 5 small frags from bumping around. may want to bag your inverts as well. i just put all my hermits, shrimp, and crabs in with the LR. didnt loose anything but i was lucky.