PDA

View Full Version : powder blue tangs?

marinerules
04/20/2006, 09:53 AM
first off I have kept yellow tangs with no problem ,

however i have tired a hippo tang twice and both of them had died, 3 days later, they wouldnt swim or eat ,they just hid ,

now I dont know how difficult powderblue tangs are to keep compared to the yhellow ones

but the petstore has a nice 3-4 powder blue tang for $55 and hes gorgeous

my tank has really good parameters and I have a good skimmer

, should I be ok ?

or are they a expert per say only fish

besl
04/20/2006, 10:04 AM
I lost my PBT to ich and recently read an RC thread that amongst tangs they are more prone to ich.

marinerules
04/20/2006, 10:08 AM
ok thats all i needed to know

i dont want to give the rest of my fish ich

NeilPearson
04/20/2006, 10:14 AM
You don't have to if you quarantine

Kaiser Tang
04/20/2006, 10:16 AM
PBT aren't hard to keep. They are ich magnets though. Quarentine, avoid stress and you'll do fine.

marinerules
04/20/2006, 10:51 AM
if the fish is ich magnet I DONT WANT IT lol

also i have found when I quarantine it just stresses the fish that much mor e, cuase you are moving them from yet anothe body or system of water.

Im not sure , maybe I will stick to the yellow tangs

im not sure to this day what I was doing wrong with the hippo tangs

NexDog
04/20/2006, 11:20 AM
Treat all fish as if they have Ich and you'll never have a problem with "problematic" fish. ;)

If you are thinking about getting the PBT from the same LFS as the dead regals then you might be taking a risk there. Quality of fish is a big factor in a fish's success or longevity in our aquariums.

tgunn
04/20/2006, 12:14 PM
I agree with NexDog...

I've got a powder blue tang:
http://www.egunn.com/gallery2/d/3264-2/IMG_0897.jpg

He's only been in the display a week and a half now "did his time" in QT.

Just make sure to spend some time watching them at the LFS...

I carefull inspected mine in the store for any signs of disease. I chose this particular specimen because he was very alert and aware of his surroundings from the start. He was watching me as I watched him and in general not over skittish or anything.

Make sure you see a possible specimen fed too; mine gobbled up all the food is could get in QT and continues to be a great eater.

So far so good and he's getting along in the tank very well.

I think it all comes down to proper specimen choice and making sure the LFS is keeping good specimens. The LFS here always has extremely healthy and high quality specimens; I know that helps too.

Tyler

Rendos
04/20/2006, 01:10 PM
I love my PBT, and never had a problem with it...ich or anything else. I got mine when it was about 1.5" and is now around 4" - 4.5".
http://fishman.smugmug.com/photos/27081583-M.jpg

Alaskan Reefer
04/20/2006, 01:16 PM
I love my PBT, too. Healthy specimin to begin with, low stress environment, no ich...

mille239
05/24/2006, 08:31 AM
What are you feeding your PBT's? mine won't touch Nori.. I don't know if he's afraid of the clip, but just grazes off the algae on the side glass

tgunn
05/24/2006, 09:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7428309#post7428309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mille239
What are you feeding your PBT's? mine won't touch Nori.. I don't know if he's afraid of the clip, but just grazes off the algae on the side glass

"Four Flake Frenzy"; just a generic four flake mix, spirulina pellets and cyclopeeze.

He eats like a pig.

Tyler

Paintbug
05/24/2006, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7428309#post7428309 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mille239

give it time! the PBT will figure out its safe to eat. mine will not eat algae strips from my red clip. but it goes crazy for it on a blue or yellow(the only other colors i have :) ). mine will eat anything i put in the tank. thats frozen shrimp, flakes, algae strips, you name it. i have had mine for about 8-9 months and never had a problem with ick. PBTs are prone to get ick right after transport, putting them in a small QT will add more stress for them. once they are accustomed to the tank they are hardy fish. heres mine.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/87014pbt2.jpg

Shooter7
05/24/2006, 10:24 AM
I was a little worried about the idea of putting a PBT in my 120, but I see some of you have the same size or smaller tanks than mine and have PBT's - they don't seem to have any probs with the tank size? I'm thinking I might go ahead and get one and see how it goes. Would he do ok with a Scopas?