PDA

View Full Version : LFS vs on-line purchase ?s

jpeloveseoy
04/20/2006, 11:14 AM
Has anyone had experience with on-line purchases versus LFS? At my local stores they do not offer any guarantees and their prices are higher, however, they are people we have built a relationship with. On-line they have several day guarantees and great deals...but too good to be true?:wave:

toothman
04/20/2006, 11:55 AM
mail order is great! The one disadvantage is, you can not actually see the coral or fish. Obviously.

The one problem is shipping cost, if you order a few things and average the cost out it is ok, if you do not the shipping is really a lot.

Example: I ordered 120 lbs of live rock from Fla., Source, Walt Smith. I cost 2.25 lb and $70. to ship it. that comes to about $2.75 a lb. At my lfs live rock is $5-8 a lb.

Hey, remember the lfs is just mail ordering also. They are not driving to the south Pacific.

Paintbug
04/20/2006, 12:40 PM
i try to buy what i can from the LFS. anything alive comes from a LFS for me. 2 reasons. first i can see what im getting. i can see what color a fish or coral is. i can also see how healthy they look. second, generally the LFS has close to the same prices as online with shipping.

dry goods on the other hand, unless its something i need quick, i order most the stuff online. i cant see spending 40%+ more for something. again i try to support the LFS the most i can but for big stuff, online is the only way to go. i also try to catch sales often, look locally for used stuff, trade corals, make things myself. anything to save $$.

CarmieJo
04/20/2006, 12:58 PM
I've ordered dry goods online but not livestock. My lfs does not have guarantees either but, I like to see what I am buying and know that it is eating. Plus they are knowledgeable and have helped me a lot with the used equipment (plumbing, skimmer, etc) that I bought and then couldn't quite figure out. Also, online unless you order a bunch of livestock the shipping eats up the savings. Anyhow, that is my 2 cents.

:fish1: