PDA

View Full Version : Can I change salt

zmazza
04/20/2006, 12:54 PM
I am currently using Instant Ocean sea salt in my 29 gallon FOWLR / Future Reef Tank.

I'm running out of salt and am getting ready to put in another order. While looking for a 160 gallon bucket of instant ocean salt, I came across a 200 gallon bucket of Red Sea salt mix for 39.99. This really sounds like a great deal, and with 3 gallon water changes, I shouldn't have to order again for a LONG time!

Can I mix the two salts? Or would I have to drain the entire aquarium and start from scratch?

Is this a good salt to use when keeping corals?

Has anyone used this salt before? Is it good salt?

Would I be better off getting instant ocean salt?

Looking forward to your responses!

Zac

CarmieJo
04/20/2006, 01:21 PM
IMO it is not a problem to change salt brands. I usually buy what I get the best deal on. :) You don't need to drain your tank, just do your regular water changes.

Here is an article comparing several varieties to NSW http://web.archive.org/web/20010303215133/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp that you might like to read. It is a few years old but I believe that even if the manufactures have changed their exact formula the precepts hold true. Because of the variation from brand to brand I know people who buy 2 or more brands and mix them together.

:fish1:

Croney82
04/20/2006, 01:31 PM
I've been using red sea and everything seems to thrive on it, it's supposed to be great for corals an inverts according to the manufacturer, but saying that I don't have anything to compare it to,
I too am running low on my salt and I was wondering whether to change, and if so which salt do I go for, I've seen an s-15 report that compares 15 salts, but the top three or four are manufactured by the creators of the reports.