PDA

View Full Version : algea problem

fishmike888
04/20/2006, 01:49 PM
i'm writing because of an algea problem i've hand in my tank for more than a month. I have two fish, 45 pounds live rock, 30 pounds live sand, a mce600 deltec skimmer, and a orbit lighting system that i keep on around 10 hours a day. The algea is brownish and sticks to the glass. Even though I clean it almost daily it comes back by night time. Any suggestions how to control the algea?

nm354
04/20/2006, 02:06 PM
Are you using r/o water?
How big is the tank?
What do you have as far as water movement?
How often do you feed?

davefeag
04/20/2006, 02:21 PM
Give it time. If you exhibit good husbandry it will go away. I am guesing that this is a new tank.

-Dave

fishmike888
04/20/2006, 02:29 PM
Tank is 8 months old, 55 gallons, i have a single powerhead for surface water movement, and i feed my fish once a day. Yes r/o water but from a regular filter, I don't use any specialized filter for fish.

Sk8r
04/20/2006, 03:21 PM
If it's the brown slimy stuff, it's not algae, it's cyano, and responds to those sort of treatments. Cyano just happens sometimes because your tank has reached a certain point and something tips it over (I forgot and left the actinic on all night: I'm now on timers.) Chemi-clean will get it---if that's what it is. There is a brown true algae as well. You need to know what it is before you start trying to get rid of it.