PDA

View Full Version : shipping my fish and rock across country!

jlfritsche
04/20/2006, 02:17 PM
Well only halfway across. I have recently relocated from austin to san diego, and had a my local lfs hold my livestock and rock for me. Three months later (first attempt at caulking and plumbing a system)I have my new 60 cube up and running and ready to fill (I think)

I have just finished a cycle with a 12lb rock and around 3 inches of live sand and nitramax bacteria. My guy back in austin is going to ship everything overnight fed ex. My question is how dangerous is it to add everything all at once in such a young tank?

I will be adding around 60 lbs of my mature live rock from my last settup as well as a fairly large sun coral (around 75 polyps!) a large torch coral, colt coral, brain, numerous rics and other mushrooms, green star polyps, two clowns, a coral beauty angel,yellow watchman, mandarine goby cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, and a cleaning crew.

I plan on doing a large water change the night before they arrive but am worried what might happen when adding such a large load on such a young tank.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Fmellish
04/20/2006, 02:22 PM
Sorry, I can't help, but here is something else to worry about.

how many dieases will you now have to treat for since your fish have been staying at a fish store? I'd be scared of that.

I would throw the rock in and not worry about it, but I would certainly quarantine the fish for at least 4 weeks.

My 2 cents
Josh

jlfritsche
04/20/2006, 02:26 PM
They were housed in their own system:D I lucked out. I worked at this particular lfs for a short time and feel very comfortable about their health and happiness a friend has been emailing me pictures, just worried about an ammonia spike or something

jlfritsche
04/20/2006, 03:15 PM
no one?

CarmieJo
04/20/2006, 03:25 PM
I don't have experience with shipping like this but I would be concerned. First of all shipping is stressful. When you add the possibility of an ammonia spike to that you could have problems. Do you think you could get them in 2 or 3 shipments with the LR arriving first? If you have to ship everything at once I'd have plenty of SW made up so you can do water changes if necessary.

jlfritsche
04/20/2006, 10:48 PM
I guess that could be an option

dots
04/21/2006, 01:32 AM
California is one of the better places to get reef fish and corals.....Unless it is super rare, liqudate it and start fresh.