PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sand to BB design

Young4life
04/20/2006, 02:58 PM
Hey guys, I just picked up a tank from a local reefer and it currently has the starboard already in place. However it unforunately has a few yellow stains on the board from encrusting coraline on it. Would it be a problem (thinking on the lines of nutrient build up) to put in a very shallow bed of sand on top? Mostly to just cover up the starboard...... What are you guys' opinions? I'm not sure what to do, but I know I'm not really a fan of the yellow on the starboard.

Thx in advance,

Alex

bertoni
04/20/2006, 07:02 PM
You could add a bit of sand for looks. I don't think it'll hurt anything, but it might solidify or build up nutrients over time. At that point, you could remove and replace it. Up to you.

Young4life
04/20/2006, 07:05 PM
this is the same as having a normal shallow sand bed though right? It's eventually gonna build up nutrients and need replacing right?

bertoni
04/20/2006, 09:38 PM
Yes, it's the same as having a shallow sand bed, and it might need to be replaced eventually.

Csubseball
04/20/2006, 09:41 PM
The starboard will eventually (probably sooner than you think) be covered in coraline again. I would just let it build up coraline again.
I personally like the look of the coraline starborad but if you don't I would say that you are better off going with a SSB or DSB than just a dusting of sand.

Young4life
04/20/2006, 09:43 PM
ya i probably would look pretty kewl covered in coraline, I was just thinking that if I did put a shallow sand bed on it.... because of the starboard already in place... would that cause a greater risk of nutrient build up? Otherwise, I might just leave it to grow coraline :D

bertoni
04/20/2006, 09:51 PM
I don't think the starboard matters one way or the other. It's strictly a matter of esthetics.

xanthid
04/20/2006, 10:28 PM
In my opinion, if you can put sand in the bottom of a starboard tank, you dont have enough flow in the bottom of the tank. The whole idea behind the bb being enough flow to get the gunk into the overflows.