PDA

View Full Version : Six Line Wrasse...need Advice

cobs00
04/20/2006, 03:49 PM
I need your help.....

Yesterday I picked up 2 healthy Occelaris Clown fish. I acclimated them in the evening and deposited them into my 65G in total darkness so there would be no stress. This morning I woke up to find them both huddled in the top corner of my tank, then I observed my six line wrasse harrassing them like crazy. he seemed like he was trying to bite them every chance ge got. I had no clue this little peaceful wrasse I had for a few months now would become such a bully. He seems to get along with the chromis and goby, but has a real problem with the clowns.

I'm not sure what to do. My clowns are not eating,(probably out of fear) and the wrasse has eased up on them a little, but is making sure that they stay in that corner. The minute they swim into the middle, he's back at it again. So far I have not seen any physical damage to the clowns. Anybody have any suggestions? Will this bullying end?

jgoodrich71
04/20/2006, 03:55 PM
6 lines can be like that. Some are fine, some are bullies. There is really no way to know if it will stop or not. You could maybe try to separate them, breeder trap, were the wrasse can see them, but can't actually get to them. That way they get used to seeing each other and things may calm down.

cobs00
04/21/2006, 02:50 PM
So far Day 2 the clowns are still in the top right corner. They might wander away a bit, but as soon as the wrasse swims by, they go right back. On a positive note, they are eating a bit now, and from what I can observe, the wrasse is staying away from that corner. When he does chase them, he does seem to bite them. So far, no damage to their fins, or body.

MarkD40
04/21/2006, 02:57 PM
I have had a six-line for 6 years who gets along with all of my other fish and minds his own business. If I put any new fish in the tank regardless of size or species he chases it relentlessly until it dies of starvation.

I would either take the clowns out or isolate them in some way such as an in tank refugium that hangs on the inside of your display so that the wrasse can used to their presence. This will allow the clowns to eat. If you don't do something soon they will surely die.

Reef_|<eeper
04/21/2006, 03:04 PM
I have a sixline with my occ. clowns as well, but no problems. I hope they decide that the fighting is not needed and that they become best friends. :thumbsup:

RBU1
04/21/2006, 03:19 PM
My 6 line for some reason started to bother my mandarine. They have been in the tank together for over a year. He bothered him so much the mandarine was confined to a small spot in the tank. I tried to remove the 6 line but could not do it. So I opted to try and save the madarine and move him to my refugium. He died the next day. The 6 line does not bother any of my other fish I have 2 clowns and an Atlantic Blue tang. I hope my luck is not like the person that added any fish the 6 line would kill. I am thinking of getting a Gold Flake Angel. I would be mighty ticked if that 6 line kills a $200.00 fish. BILL

zeblisik
04/21/2006, 04:48 PM
You might conversely try taking the wrasse out and letting the clowns settle in and establish themselves. (a couple weeks perhaps?) Then put the wrasse back in, he will be ‘the new guy’ this time in their territory.

This method is often used when trying to breed aggressive fish.