PDA

View Full Version : Got my new corals! On the way home. Urgent!

zmazza
04/20/2006, 04:52 PM
I just got my zoos!!! They are the smaller, matting type, not the ones with the stems. I got 5 lime green polyps and one neon orange polyp. I got them for 10 bucks! Can you believe the deal?

I'm wanting to go home and add them to my aquarium, but I have a few urgent questions.

Where should I put them in my aquarium? I have a RENA XP2 and P600 for flow.

I have 192 watt 6700k fixture. Should I turn both bulbs on?

bertoni
04/20/2006, 05:17 PM
They probably won't be that picky about placement with regards to flow, although I'd keep them a bit low in the tank for starters, in case they've become acclimated to lower light. For the same reason, I'd probably turn on one of the bulbs and move to two after a week or so, but that's probably overkill with caution.

zmazza
04/21/2006, 07:02 AM
With one bulb I'm at a little over 3 watts per gallon. My wife is afraid to turn on the other bulb because of electricity costs. Would it hurt a zoo to be placed under 3. something watts of light? Am I going to see decreased growth rates or anything?

staninct
04/21/2006, 08:02 AM
Swap out one of your 6700k bulbs for an actinic - then you can leave them both on and your zoas will "glow".

zmazza
04/21/2006, 08:05 AM
I am kind of lenient on purchasing the actinic right now. My wife is just dreading 192 watts 24 hours a day on our electricity bill. I don't know how to tell her it's an energy saving ballast. Is it actually drawing 192 watts?

staninct
04/21/2006, 08:10 AM
What kind of light is it? At a full 192w draw for 12-14 hours a day you are looking at $15-$20 a month to run the light, and probably all the other equipment in the tank as well. If you can't convince her of that, how are you going to tell her about a $150 superman frag down the road?! (j/k) It shouldn't be too bad- you should see what two tanks and central air does for my bill!

landragon
04/21/2006, 08:16 AM
It was pointed out in the last reply, but do not overlook the photoperiod. You should not have the power to the ballast on for 24 hours daily. It is more like 11-14 for flourescents.

zmazza
04/21/2006, 08:20 AM
We have the temperature in the house set to kick on the ac at 80 degrees. I have a small 10 gallon that is running a single incandescent bulb at 25 watts. The loach and goldfish really don't need it, so I can turn it off. I've also got a rubbermaid tub, about 10 gallons, with 30 lbs of live rock, a 30" light fixture with ... 15 watt bulb I believe, and a Maxijet 1000 power head. I could turn off the light. I don't think it would hurt the curing process of the live rock, would it?

I just wouldn't have the algae growth, right?

It's an Coralife AquaLight Deluxe Freshwater Series, twin tube pc 6700k bulbs with 2 cooling fans.
It's a 36" fixture at 192 watts. How much power could it possibly use?

Here's what I have running...

10 gallon - 50 watt heater, 25 watt incandescent bulb, penguin 200 biowheel filter

29 gallon - visitherm 150 watt heater, 192 watt aqualight fixture, maxijet 600 power head, RENA XP2 canister filter.

10 gallon curing tub - maxijet 1000, 15 watt fixture.

What do you think? How can I minimize my electricity costs so that I can turn on BOTH 6700k bulbs... and would it help? Will the zooanthid survive at a little over 3 watts? or would he do better at over 6?

zmazza
04/21/2006, 08:22 AM
Whoa. Did I say 24 hours a day? Whoo. I'm sorry, that was a blatant error on my side. I meant I run it about 10 hours a day. I'm sorry about the mistake. I run the power head, heater, and canister filter for 24 hours a day. Just 10 hours or so on the lights.

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2006, 08:29 AM
you have to remember not everything will be running for 24 hours a day only your powerheads and filters should be running for that long. the heaters will kick on and off unless they are to small which i see yours isn't. the lights should only be on for around 10-12 hours a day. the curing tub don't really need a light as it can also cause bad alage to grow. adding the other 96 watt bulb will not kill your energy very much. i am sure your zoo's will be fine with 3 watts but adding an attanic will make them glow very nice.

zmazza
04/21/2006, 09:11 AM
I think I'll wait until I can get that actintic bulb before I turn both on. Thanks for the info. I think I'll leave the 10 gallon light off and the curing tub light off. Would it be beneficial to cover the rub with the rubbermaid lid that came with it?

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2006, 09:30 AM
if all your doing is curing the rock. leaving it in darkness by covering it up is what ppl say cooking the rock. it will still cure but without the alage growth.

bertoni
04/21/2006, 10:55 AM
I don't think covering the tub will make much difference, but I would let the rock get some light to help photosynthetic organisms keep going. Also, gas exchange should be better that way.

zmazza
04/21/2006, 11:17 AM
I'll take the light off. It's still going to get some ambient light from the window in the room. It won't be in COMPLETE darkness during the day. It's got a maxijet 1000 power head in the tub for circulation.