PDA

View Full Version : Uncured live rock procedure?

JARJAR
04/20/2006, 07:07 PM
Hello,

I just bought 40 pounds of uncured live rock. My tank has already been running fine for months with 72 lbs and we have healthy fishes & inverts.
I plan on curing my LR in a "rubbermaid" with Ro/Di water, heater and 1 maxijet... My question is: do I have to replicate my tank parameters? Is a little salt enough or should I test everything to make sure my parameters are the same?:confused: Also: is it risky to put one piece in my tank right away... I must say there is a lot of living in that rock....:bounce2:

Thank you for you help.

Recife
04/20/2006, 07:11 PM
Don't put any piece in your tank. If the rock is uncured you will most likely create an ammonia spike that may be too much for your bacteria to handle.

You don't need to replicate the water parameters from your tank in the cycling container either, but you do want to keep acceptable parameters, mainly temperature and salinity, not to kill the rock.

Also, if you want to keep the life on the rock now, do regular water changes, every other day or so not to let the ammonia go up too much. This will slow down the curing process, but will keep the corals that came on the rock alive.

bertoni
04/20/2006, 07:48 PM
I would try to replicate the water parameters of the tank fairly closely, to reduce any shock from moving the live rock to the display when the curing is done. No need to be super-precise, IMO, though. With a degree and 0.001 units SG should be okay, as one guess. I would do the water changes, and I personally don't think they'd slow the curing process.

JARJAR
04/22/2006, 01:08 PM
2 days completed, the bad odor is less then what it was friday. What about skimming this rubbermaid for one day. Is that going to reduce the time of curing? I see a lot of polyps and I don`t want to lose those.

bertoni
04/22/2006, 02:51 PM
Skimming might help reduce the curing time, and should help with the polyps, IMO.

Mike 1911A1
04/22/2006, 07:40 PM
You could also frag the polyps and place them in your tank.

Mike