PDA

View Full Version : new to saltwater, please educate

john226
04/20/2006, 10:05 PM
hello all, I am hoping for some assistance as this is the first saltwater tank i have done.

i have a 20 gallon long (space issues make this small tank needed), a fluval 304 cannister filter, heater, hood and light. i want fish only, have added colored gravel to bottom (no sand), filled and filtered for 3 weeks and am now doing my 3rd dosage of cycle. salinity is fine, ph looks good. amonia test comes out clear. and that is what i have done. what else do i need to do before adding my 1st hardy fish?(like mollies or damsels). every site i see has different suggestions, but i like the features on this site the most. protein skimmer? do i need sand on the bottom if i am doing fish-only? please help this saltwater novice......

thanks!

unimike
04/20/2006, 10:20 PM
have you had any spikes in ammonita or nitrite ?

john226
04/20/2006, 11:21 PM
no spikes in amonia, tested it 4 times so far. how do i test for nitrates?

Hop
04/20/2006, 11:24 PM
start here (http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1) and read, read and read:) There is a lot to know and a lot to learn.

chip721
04/20/2006, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7218444#post7218444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john226
how do i test for nitrates? Get a good NO2 (nitrite) and NO3 (nitrate) test kit. I use Salifert. They're pretty straight forward and reliable.

jeffb3t
04/21/2006, 03:15 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848

Have you checked out waterkeepers threads yet? Great info. BTW, Welcome to RC!!

No Worries1979
04/21/2006, 09:52 AM
Your at the right place for saltwater education. I have learned 70% of what I know from Reef Central, and I'm still learning everyday! Thank you RC!!!!!

bertoni
04/21/2006, 11:01 AM
I would try adding a bit of fish food every day for a few days to see how the ammonia levels react.

angelsj247
04/21/2006, 12:23 PM
i though your not supposed to use colored gravel? correct me if im wrong...
add fish food every day for a while cuz i dont think you started a cycle yet or drop one raw shrimp in there for a two days then take it out, to establish a cycle.

bbmcrae
04/21/2006, 12:31 PM
First off, get rid of the fluval. It traps nitrates. Second, I would get rid of the gravel and try sand or go bare bottom. Then I would put a fish or two in the tank for about 1-2 weeks and let the tank cycle. No matter what you do, cycling your tank is something you have to go through. After the first week or two, test your water with the basic kits: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate etc.

Welcome to RC.

bertoni
04/21/2006, 12:53 PM
The colored gravel might be safe; I don't know. It will tend to trap detritus and look pretty ugly. This tank seems to be targeted towards fish-only, so the canister should be okay, although I do use live rock for most of the filtration in my tanks.

john226
04/24/2006, 06:27 PM
Thank you all very much for your help! Thanks to all the helpful advice I have:

gotten rid of the colored gravel and replaced it with live sand. looks so much better, let alone the benefits.

purchased nitrate/nitrite test kit

have 3 damsels swimming in my tank (spoke with lfs and was told these 3 would be great for breaking inn the tank as they were "mildly aggressive" - so far so good!

keep the good advice coming!

OrangeKoi
04/24/2006, 06:43 PM
You know? I'm slightly frustrated by the term LFS because I tend to associate it with "people who care" for the things they sell and the way these things (animals) are maintained.

I've always distanced the term LFS and Petco. Alas, I believe I've found a LFS that suits the description in this link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

RobNJ
04/24/2006, 07:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7240296#post7240296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OrangeKoi
You know? I'm slightly frustrated by the term LFS because I tend to associate it with "people who care" for the things they sell and the way these things (animals) are maintained.

I've always distanced the term LFS and Petco. Alas, I believe I've found a LFS that suits the description in this link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

I agree Orange....

I must have to agree about the whole LFS term.

I was at my LFS the other day getting a new canister for my FW tank and I happened to see someone i knew picking out some live rock. I was supprised to see him so I decided to have a chat.

Now I am no expert which either makes the guys at the LFS stupid, or just trying to sell sell sell.

They sold him some live rock for his tank. At the same time sold him a few mixed corals and 4 fish for his tank. As he was leaving I asked him if it was hard installing his RO system, he said what is an RO system. I said a pure water system,, he said o I used the TAP water. I said how long have you had the tap water cycling he said 2 weeks. Those poor pieces of coral and the fish are probally dead.

Also arent you suppose to let freshly added live rock cycle before adding fish?
Shouldn't the LFS say something?

Should the LFS guys be responsible for making sure they are selling to knowledgeable reef keepers?

Our reefs are in bad enough shape, a little responsiility by the LFS would be nice.

Just my 2 cents,
Rob