PDA

View Full Version : perhaps someone here could ID this?

OrangeKoi
04/20/2006, 10:09 PM
I've posted this picture in LPS, perhaps it belongs here?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/Red_Rage789/querry01.jpg

Can anyone Id this? Its base is teal green and when there is less light the green stripes are unnoticable. Then it is all purple. The stripes go the opposite direction that shrooms usually exhibit...they go side to side.

rustybucket145
04/21/2006, 08:51 AM
Need a better pic, looks like a yuma

keckles
04/21/2006, 03:14 PM
A better picture would definitely help.

I'm guessing a Rhodactis sp. from the current picture.

OrangeKoi
04/21/2006, 07:36 PM
It really isn't a bad picture. I'll try again. I just don't believe it's the item you suggest.

spsboy
04/21/2006, 09:41 PM
It almost looks like a carribean version of a rhodactis mushroom. And given the fact its on its own small piece if rock, that also leads me to believe it carribean. Hope this helps
Drew

OrangeKoi
04/21/2006, 10:24 PM
The rock it came on was not small. It was actually a piece of dead coral that had green coraline algea and alot of hairy algea on it. The pink has grown on the rock since it's been in my tank. I suppose it was a bad idea to break the dead coral but I was new and the piece looked kind of scary. I'm learning. Does that help id it?

spsboy
04/21/2006, 10:30 PM
Not really. Pics truly are the best thing for Iding. If you can rotate it and get a pic straight on the would be great.
Drew

OrangeKoi
04/21/2006, 11:10 PM
Well I tried it with a tripod but not with manual settings(still have to figure that out). I believe I'll have to hunt down my instructions. I can't get the focus right. I'm too close for the range or something. Batteries need to charge so I'll try later and research now.

Thanks very much for your help. I really need to figure these corals out so I can make sure to keep them well. So I know what I'm doing right you know? (And fix problems even?)

keckles
04/22/2006, 09:08 AM
Is it only composed of soft tissue or does tissue extend from a calcarous base?

You're right, it may not be a bad picture. But, with the thousands upon thousands of species out there, and the variances that make even specimens of the same species appear differently, every bit helps. :)

Your picture shows very little detail, which is vital to identification. With corallimorpharians, anything from growth and size to features upon the oral disc and pseudotentacles can be the deciding factor towards positive identification. In the case of Scleractinians it is even more difficult. Identification is determined by characteristics of growth formation, coenosteum, and corallite development/structure to the smallest septal tooth. Many specimens are impossible to properly identify without the use of a microscope and precise study.

I guess if you just want a label to put on it, it looks like a mushroom. :) You could also try to search for some of the names we have given you and see if you can find something similar.

Good luck

OrangeKoi
04/22/2006, 09:46 PM
Ok I got closer with the magnifying glass and saw that it looks like it has little tentacles around the edges. A few scattered inside too. I've read that there are all kinds of anemonea mushrooms. Do you have any idea of a good book on the subject? Or something to help me get a handle on what it is?

Oh, also it's all soft tissue. One of them is reattaching itself to a shell on the sand. Mushrooms are pretty much the only thing that spits out strings right? Then over time they pull themselves back together?

I really appreciate your time on this. I just want to understand what I'm looking at. So I know how it's supposed to look.

Salamander
04/27/2006, 05:57 PM
Real hard to tell from the pic but I think maybe Rhodactis.

A good book is Eric Bornemans's Coral: selection care and husbandry. Pretty much an essential book for getting a clue on common genus and species.