PDA

View Full Version : Will copper water lines "leach" copper into the water? Will RO/DI take care of it?

JusJim
04/21/2006, 05:17 AM
I've not had any appearant problems, and I hadn't ever really looked, but I just noticed in the laundry room that I have copper water lines running into and out of the hot water heater.

So I then looked under the kitchen sink and they are there also.

Does this cause copper to "leach" into the water supply, and if so is it usually enough to cause any trouble.

Once I get my RO/DI unit installed will this take care of the copper in the water (if there is any there from the pipes).

nataz
04/21/2006, 05:51 AM
I'm not even close to being a proin this hobbie and i am still wet behind the ears,but i cant see everyone in this hobbie changing over there pipes to pvc because they went sw or this hobbie would only be for the rich or people building there homes from ground up. I would think its safe to say copper pipes are ok.

dfreeman
04/21/2006, 06:06 AM
your should be ok. not wise for any saltwater to be flower thru copper pipes but the water for your RO/DI from the copper should be ok.

AnnArborBuck
04/21/2006, 06:11 AM
Copper will not leach from your pipes into your city water in any appreciable amounts. Copper pipes can last for over a 100 years, if there was any appreciable leatching they would wouldn't last nearly that long.

Wryknow
04/21/2006, 09:35 AM
Any measurable quantities of copper in the water should be captured and removed by a functional RO/DI unit.

Alaskan Reefer
04/21/2006, 02:41 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. I've been using tap water from copper pipes for 5+ years. I do run the water for a little bit beforehand just to clear the line for this reason, but it's probably not necessary.

Functional RO/DI should remove it if any exists, and of course RO/DI is a must for anyone without pristine tap water such as what we get in urban parts of Alaska...