PDA

View Full Version : About to Begin

RobNJ
04/21/2006, 07:43 AM
Hi Everyone, I have been lurking around and reading things here and on a few other sites. I got a few books about reefs and I am about ready to start my own.

I have had many freshwater aquariums through my life, I currently have a 40 freshwater tank. However, I really want to try the a marine tank.
I am starting small, 30 gallons. The biggest question I have is, in my readings TAP water is extremly contaminated. How do I start my tank? I figured if I start with tap water I would just extend my tank cycle until all the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates were at acceptable levels. Also at what levels would you recommend introducing live base rock. I have also read that during the cycle it is helpful to add a few damsels.

Thanks so much in advance!

Rob

jgoodrich71
04/21/2006, 08:06 AM
If you don't mind an algae filled tank, then tap water would be fine for a fish tank. However, if you ever want to to corals then a RO/DI would be a good investment, and almost everyone that says they only want to do fish eventually start buying corals.

As far as cycling the tank, it is best to use just liverock (LR) by itself. When you bring it home, there will be some die off that occurs. This will provide the ammonia source to feed the bacteria. Do not use damsels or any other fish to cycle the tank. Some here will recommend adding a piece of shrimp to provide ammonia, but I feel this is unnecessary.

The best advice I have to offer is to be patient. Wait until you have a RO filter before starting the tank.

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2006, 08:21 AM
[welcome]
i agree a rodi filter is a great thing to have in this hobby, heck i have 2:D but using tap water will not make your cycle last any longer. but you will see alot of alage from using tap as was said. adding LR after you get your sand, saltwater, and temp where you want it. the LR will start your cycle for you. otherwise just though a little fish food in there and that will start the cycle. i wouldn't suggest adding damsels, they are unneccesary. and will leave you with better fish choice.

Capt_Cully
04/21/2006, 08:25 AM
2nd that. RO/DI. I got a good one on ebay for about $100. Filtersdirect.com. Otherwise algae blooms will be unbearable.

You can buy RO water, but considering how much you'll use when doing water changes, you'll save a ton buy biting the bullet early and buying your own unit.

Also would suggest starting with the biggest tank you can afford. Bad things happen slower in a bigger tank. More room for error. Easier to contain problems.

Just a few tips. Good Luck.

RobNJ
04/21/2006, 08:38 AM
Are there RO systems I can hookup to a sink facet,I will do some research on them, I dont have a direct water source. Sorry , I am still learning about this. I am def. not going to rush into anything.

Thanks
so much again
Rob

jgoodrich71
04/21/2006, 08:45 AM
Yes, you can buy a faucet adapter, or you could just split it off from the undersink line. It doesn't have to be a "permantent" install.

RobNJ
04/21/2006, 08:47 AM
My local fish store is decent, not the greatest, Can any of you Pro's recommend any good online stores to purchase from?

And thanks for the RO Tips

kau_cinta_ku
04/21/2006, 08:49 AM
check out purelyh2o they are great systems and costomer service is top. if you go to the sponcer forum in the purelyh2o in the threads you will find Bryan's 800 # feel free to give him a call if you have any questions about RODI filters he will be happy to answer them

jgoodrich71
04/21/2006, 08:51 AM
Just look at the sponsor button at the top of the page. I have used a couple of them. I would have no problem with repeat business with any of them. If you want I can PM the ones I have dealt with.

gvibes
04/21/2006, 09:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7219711#post7219711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobNJ
My local fish store is decent, not the greatest, Can any of you Pro's recommend any good online stores to purchase from?

And thanks for the RO Tips
For an RO/DI, there are a ton of good options. Search through old threads. I got a Typhoon III from airwaterice.com

For stores, there are a ton of good ones as well. Check out the sponsors. I've bought a lot of stuff from www.premiumaquatics.com

Capt_Cully
04/21/2006, 10:25 AM
filtersdirect.com or ebay.

also, i use a faucet splitter. just one flick of a switch and it goes from regular tap to RO/DI unit. Nice.