PDA

View Full Version : Best kit for removing scratches on acrylic

Bianca
04/23/2006, 12:37 AM
Hi
I recently bought an acrlic tank and after filling it with water and puting lights on . I noticed it has two very small scratches that I want to remove.
The tank is empty now as I just filled it to check for scratches. leaks . I would like to know the best acrylic scratch removing kit or any ideas anyone has on how to remove them ?

Both scratches are around 1/4 inch and not deep but since tank is empty would like to remove them.

Thank you

Bianca

Fast Fred
04/23/2006, 07:56 AM
Welcome to Reef Central!!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/FlippinByrds/Reef%20Tank/526049513Reefnut_welcome.gif

I hear tell of many DIY people here buying from US Plastics. I've never done the scratch removal thing, but from what I'm told, if the scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail, it's too deep to remove without greatly distorting the viewing panel.

Here's a link to some scratch removers:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/search.asp?search=scratch&category=25396

BTW, it's always a good idea to practice on a piece of scrap first.

JonTarutis
04/23/2006, 09:06 AM
Either the Rainbow Lifeguard kit or the MicroMesh kit will get the job done. If you are buffing without water you will notice minute scratches but these tend to fill in with water. As for technique I pick a coarse grit (1500-2400) and go against the scratch (note you will "scratch" an area around the scratch... don't concentrate all your force on the scratch itself......maybe a 4x4 area around it) Next move up a grit and work perpendicular to the previous, move up a grit and back against the scratch...repeat until you are up to the finest grit. Make sure you use water as a lubricant while you are sanding out the scratch. Good luck!
Jon

Bianca
04/23/2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks you both for the site and the kit you like . I am going to now see whats in the site that is best and also look up the kits.

I had no idea thats best to do it while wet using water so thats great to know and good idea to to practice first on something as I would be so mad at myself if I messed it up .

This info came in handy. Its a tiny scratch (2 of them) but I dont want the slightest scratch so going to now use non corraline algae live rock.

Have decided on mushrooms,sand stars stuff like that . That wont scratch acrylic . I was ticked when I bought this new and noticed the scratches I never thought it was true when people said how easy acrylic scratches .

I am a neat ,organized "freak" lol a scratch will drive me batty .

Thank you both again

Bianca

JonTarutis
04/23/2006, 02:51 PM
You are very welcome. After looking at US plastics I would add that there scratch kit will not do what you need it to do. You want at least 12000grit sand paper. Also I wouldn't suugest using any of the Novus products on surfaces that will exposed to livestock. On the outside it is a quick fix for tiny scratches but I don't believe it to be animal safe.
Get ready for a good workout!
Jon

Bianca
04/23/2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks I decided to get this kit-

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_maintenance_scratch_removal_kit_pentair_aquatics_rainbow-lifegard.asp?CartId=

JonTarutis
04/23/2006, 04:42 PM
Good choice! I don't use the final polish under water BTW.
Jon