PDA

View Full Version : RubberMaid Good/Bad??

ianward
04/23/2006, 02:20 PM
Are all the rubbermaid products (containers) ok for reef use?
I am filling up two new "Toughneck" 20 Gal Garbage cans to mix salt in.
I sent Rubbermaid an e-mail but no answer yet.
Cheers

geo
04/23/2006, 03:13 PM
Some of these are listed as food saf containers, some are not.

Pilot Fish
04/23/2006, 03:45 PM
Only use the FDA food safe grade versions. I have heard word that any pigmented plastics will leach into the water over time, but unless your buckets or containers are very old or beat up they should be ok to use.
The best/safest containers to use are non-pigmented polyethlene or polyproplene tanks. They are the most resistant to the effects of saltwater that you will be able to find.

REMF
04/23/2006, 03:52 PM
You want a "BRUTE" container that is Certified to NSF International Std. Gray, White and Yellow are USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group Listed and assist in complying with HACCP guidelines.

Not sure about the toughneck though.

wesleychapel27
04/29/2006, 10:08 PM
I originally tried using the Brute trash cans. They worked ok but made me feel dirty having trash cans in my house, and the condensation would build up on the lids so when I lifted the lids, water would go all over the floor. I would recommend going to www.usplastic.com and searching for tanks. I bought two 40 gallon closed head vertical tanks and they work great. They are transparent with gallon markings so you know how much water you have. The lids are alot smaller than the Brute cans and are designed so condensation doens't build up on them. Here is a link to the tanks that I bought. I think they look much better in a house than a trash can. They are also thinner than Brute cans and stronger. :)

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=32&product%5Fid=4293

dkh0331
04/30/2006, 04:04 AM
I used the Toughneck line for a while, one for kalk/top-off and the other for water change. After 3-4 months, they would develop a very small leak. I switched to a couple of Brutes a year ago and a glad I did.

I know the Toughnecks are cheaper, but as usual in this hobby, you get what you pay for. IMPHO, spend the few extra $$'s and buy a Brute.

HTH

David

emperora
04/30/2006, 06:36 AM
i'm using a roughneck to make my h2o in and have never had a problem one

ianward
04/30/2006, 05:29 PM
Ok Thanks guys I will stick with the toughnecks for now and upgrade in awhile.
Cheers