PDA

View Full Version : positioning rock

paulbeau
04/24/2006, 12:01 PM
Any tips or advice on what to use for a base for live rock to keep off the sand. i have been reading about plastic. would plastic be ok? any help appreciated.

Thanks! paulbeau

kraze3
04/24/2006, 12:07 PM
You can use 1/2 inch pvc to make sort of shelving to hold your rock. You can even make a 3D pvc structure to stack rock around and/or on.

Can I ask why you want to keep your rock off the sand. IMO you should put your rock in first then sand around it. This way if you get anything that likes to borrow or dig, it cannot dig under the rock and cause a rockslide.

paulbeau
04/24/2006, 12:31 PM
I may be wrong but i thought it was better for circulation in tank if rock was kept off of sand?? I will not be having a deep sand bed because i am using the ecosystem miracle mud. It states that to be a productive filter a deep sand bed should be avoided. So sand will be about 10 cm bed. Thanks for advice i think i will do what you suggested.
Do you think sand should be fine, coarse or mixture. I will be using live sand but i do not know what texture it will be?
Thanks

goda
04/24/2006, 01:19 PM
return the mud while you can . read up on it a bit and youll see why

anyways for the rock i burry mine in the sand so that it touched the bottom ( i have egg crate on bottom to keep it off the glass) i think any other way makes it way to unstable

kraze3
04/24/2006, 01:34 PM
If your buying LS in the bag, id save your money on that also. At around 30 bucks for a 15-20 lb bag i peronally dont think its worth it. Check your home depot look for kolorscape or durascape. I just bout 10 bags for 3.20 a bag(something like that, i actually found some at walmart for cheaper) Wash it thoroughly and seed it with LS from a 1 or 2 fellow reefers. Your LR will also help to seed the sand some