PDA

View Full Version : New Tank setup

superman1013
04/24/2006, 01:26 PM
Just got my tank setup this weekend... I am gonna take it real slow as everyone's been saying. Been reading lots as well...

Where do most of you get your corals and other live stocks? Online or Locally? I will be in the market after a month or so...

Running a 40 Gallon Tank with 250W Hamilton MH and a skimmer (dunno know what spec, it's from my bro)

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/2899/tank10ee.jpg

Saltwater™.Az
04/24/2006, 02:29 PM
Sweet! Good luck bro. You've got a great start.

kscrimshaw
04/24/2006, 10:19 PM
Nice looking rock - how much do you have in there? You may need to add a bit more.

In answer to your question, I personally believe in supporting our local shops. You'll find a LOT of discussion on that if you read some of the archives for this club, and a lot of disagreement. But I think that if you find the right people, they can be very helpful.

I felt it very helpful as a newbie, and especially now that I know how much I DON'T know, to talk to the store owners at the local saltwater specialty stores. Not necessarily the pet stores that also happen to sell saltwater fish, or just any employee at the saltwater stores. After a year and a half, I'm still buying topoff water rather than putting in my own RO/DI because I enjoy going into the shops and chatting with the owners and checking out their livestock, even if I'm not buying anything.

But of course you have to take the responsibility of educating yourself by reading some good books, and talking to some of the great experts here in this forum. A lot of these guys have been doing this a long time, have tried it all, and really know what they're doing! I'm sure some of them will weigh in on the online shopping, but I won't since I've only ever bought drygoods online.