PDA

View Full Version : Bellus spawning!

mark97r6
04/24/2006, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

Was messing around in my sump just now, looked up and to my surprise saw my Bellus angel pair release into the water, for the first time (to my knowledge).
A bit of a bad angle from my seated on the floor position. Though quite lucky they were just above my head.

It was about 20mins before lights out with just the actinics on. The 2 fish were head to tail, though i am not sure which was where! The female released a small ball of eggs which slowly broke apart as they drifted away. The eggs didnt look particulary small either - though like i said a bad angle, but they looked bigger than say an Orchid dottybacks eggs.

The tank is an 8' 360g, 30" deep and the pair came together about 3-4" below the waters surface.
May be unconnected but one of Tunze stream pumps has recently broke, so the flow in the tank is quite reduced. Though they did 'do the act' around the Tunze in working order!

Just thought i would share, will try and get some pics if it happens again.

Mark

Nagel
04/24/2006, 09:11 PM
Sweet! I'd love to see pics. Angels are tough to breed, but hey, if they are doing the act, you have nothing to lose by trying!

Yhee
04/25/2006, 06:16 PM
Not tough to breed, tough to get someone to tell u what they feed them. I've seen man-made 1-50 micron foods which float on the surface. It's called Ken's something I can look at the package I have if interested.

mark97r6
04/25/2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the comments guys,
Not really going to try and raise them, i knoow a little about dwarf angels and the lamack (Only what i have read), should be pretty simular. Though i need more experience with easier species first.
If i really get the hang of my clowns and gobies etc.. And they are still doing the deed, i may have a go.

For now there are many lessons i need to learn before i can attempt those types of questions, i am still very much a beginner in breeding, and the angels are way out of my depth at the momement.

just thought i would share the experience and it may help others who are attempting a simular species, because i had read that the lamack angel needed silly huge gallons to spawn, but i would exspect it to be the same as the bellus. I did think about the Tunze failling, maybe this emulated a tidal current?
just a thought.
i will try and get pics if this event repeats.

Thanks again
Mark

David M
04/25/2006, 06:53 PM
So many species, so few breeders. Maybe they are easy to raise but noones ever tried :D You should go for it, you might just be the one to make the big breakthrough :cool:

mwp
04/26/2006, 12:12 AM
I'd have to second David's motion! Heck, I have so much stuff breeding I'm trying to raise it all!!! CB BELLUS would be BAR NONE one of the coolest fish around (afterall, they're my favorite angelfish anyways!)

MP