Water Changes every 2 weeks w/ RO water
Tank Temp stays between 78-79
Tank is not near any windows
250 watt. MHL which runs from 1pm to 11pm every day on timer
Water tests on tank show water quality is perfect
Corals: mushrooms, zoos, ricordea, cup coral, candy cane
Fish: two small clowns, one small cardinal
Inverts: blue leg hermits, snails, cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp

Lately i've noticed that i've had some red slime start to grow in the center of my tank. The slime is only on the sand. I've sucked out the slime and done a water change, twice now and it still seems to come back. Anyone else have this problem? I heard that i need to get ride of the red slime before it gets on my rock. The only other thing i know to do to my tank is to use the "Red Slime" remover at the LFS. Is there anything else i can do to solve my problem? or do i need to just get the Red Slime Remover? Anyone ever used it in their reef tank? Please Help....

cardgenius
04/24/2006, 08:33 PM
Chemi-clean will get rid of it. How much flow do you have. Cyano tends to grow in areas that dont have much water flow. You can use the cemi-clean to get rid of it, but if your conditions arnt right, it will come right back. Ive had the best luck adding lots of flow and small but constant water changes.

andiruleu
04/24/2006, 08:38 PM
red slime are from phosphates... so you can purchase phosban it gets rid of the phosphates which can get rid of red slime.. i believe

Lpabsolute
04/24/2006, 08:38 PM
The only flow i have is the return from my sump which is on a mag flow 7. I am planning on getting two max jet power heads this weekend to add to the tank to generate more flow.

Cardgenius- What do you mean if your conditions are not right, it will come back?

Lpabsolute
04/24/2006, 08:40 PM
andiruleu- I run carbon in my sump which i relpace every month, and i also use phosguard in my sump which i replace every 3 months.

Gary Majchrzak
04/24/2006, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7241111#post7241111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lpabsolute
Here is a little info on my tank.
54g Corner Reef Tank
Live Sand
70 lbs. of Live Rock
Tank has been set up since Dec. 05
Water Changes every 2 weeks w/ RO water
Tank Temp stays between 78-79
Tank is not near any windows
250 watt. MHL which runs from 1pm to 11pm every day on timer
Water tests on tank show water quality is perfect
Corals: mushrooms, zoos, ricordea, cup coral, candy cane
Fish: two small clowns, one small cardinal
Inverts: blue leg hermits, snails, cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp

Lately i've noticed that i've had some red slime start to grow in the center of my tank. The slime is only on the sand. I've sucked out the slime and done a water change, twice now and it still seems to come back. Anyone else have this problem? I heard that i need to get ride of the red slime before it gets on my rock. The only other thing i know to do to my tank is to use the "Red Slime" remover at the LFS. Is there anything else i can do to solve my problem? or do i need to just get the Red Slime Remover? Anyone ever used it in their reef tank? Please Help....
Did you forget to list your protein skimmer?

sloshes
04/24/2006, 08:43 PM
The chemi-clean has worked better than the Red slime for me. The power heads will be a big help.

Lpabsolute
04/24/2006, 08:52 PM
Gary Majchrzak- Didn't think i needed to add it, but i have a Coral Life protein skimmer

Lpabsolute
04/24/2006, 08:53 PM
sloshes- thanks, would it be better to wait and use the Chemi-clean this weekend after i get my powerheads or should i go ahead and use it tomorrow?

Gary Majchrzak
04/24/2006, 09:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7241338#post7241338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lpabsolute
Gary Majchrzak- Didn't think i needed to add it, but i have a Coral Life protein skimmer
Brush up on "nutrient export".
You might want to upgrade your skimmer and/or add a lit refugia where you can grow and harvest macroalgae.

affan
04/24/2006, 09:15 PM
Listen to Mr. Majchrzak. He's got the April tank of the month!!! It's an honor to be in the same thread as you, sir.

sloshes
04/24/2006, 09:17 PM
I'd syphon what you can and then medicate.

Gary Majchrzak
04/24/2006, 09:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7241547#post7241547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by affan
Listen to Mr. Majchrzak. He's got the April tank of the month!!! It's an honor to be in the same thread as you, sir.
Thanks. The honor is mine. I can grow red slime as good as anyone else. :D
Medication is not necessary. "Red slime" is good in a way. It indicates high nutrients.

sloshes
04/24/2006, 09:24 PM
I defer.

Timothy01
04/24/2006, 11:02 PM
i have the same problem, the only dead spot in my nano is the sand directly under the outlet from mio hyper flow, i have the middle compartment for a fuge and the chetto grows like weeds.

edit: thought about a nano skimmer but 1 they are said to be a POS and 2 i dont have anywhere to really put it

chucksta1
04/25/2006, 04:26 AM
Medicate now and eliminate the symptom, deduce the underlying problem and correct it. If you read the threads about this, sometimes you can do everything right and still have it.

Lpabsolute
04/26/2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all of the info. Since yesterday i've syphoned out some of the red slime from the top layer of the sand bed, done a quick 5g water change, added a Max Jet 1200 (still planning on getting one more 1200 for the other side of the tank), and also medicated. Going to wait a week to see how things go. Hopefully the red slime will be gone. Thanks again for all of the info.