PDA

View Full Version : cleanup crew?

demonboy279
04/24/2006, 08:33 PM
ok i got another one for ya. its been awhile and im almost through the cycle. just waiting for the nitrites to clear up. so ive been thinking for a while on what kind of fish and such i want. in my 55 gallon tank.

I plan on have 2 clown fish. either percula or maroons. Thats all i
plan on having for a good while. But i need a clean up crew.

So here comes the question. What should i get for a cleanup crew in my tank? Any specific kinds of snails and hermit crabs people think work the best? and wont harm anything in my tank.
for example i have a baby feather duster growing off of my live rock.
i dont want it to die.

But i do want some snails and hermit crabs. I dont know what kinds are good and what kinds are bad.

how many of what should i get. and im definitely getting some of each. so theres no need in tellong me about that bad part of having hermit crabs some like them some dont and i do. Ive got my mind set on them. i just want the safest and hardiest i can get.

so numbers on how many of each and what kinds of each would be pretty helpful.

more than just one opinion will be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone ahead of time.

demonboy279
04/24/2006, 08:35 PM
o yea one more thing. my feather duster is small and he eats bugs in the tank and brine shrimp which we feed him occasionally.
will the fish eat him? hes very very small right now( his tube is only about the width of pencil led and his feathers make a circle about the size of a pencil)

will he be safe? anything i need to know that the sites with basic info dont say?

Dan Thrash
04/24/2006, 09:07 PM
the feather duster will be fine with the clowns and hermits and snails. as far as snails, i would get a mix of nassarius, astrea and cerith. probably 1 snail per gallon total. i would read the bios on the different snail types on liveaquaria.com. thats what i do. as far as hermits, i would try some scarlets and some mini blug legs. not sure how many...maybe try 10-15 of each.

pete123
04/24/2006, 10:54 PM
one snail per is too much - IMHO - keep these guy working half or less is better. careful of the hermits and the snails. hermits always looking to upgrade.

I agree with Dan's choices all hard working, make sure that they don't run out of food.

otterpop510
04/25/2006, 01:31 AM
like dan's mix of snails: nassarius (get the vibex, not obseleta.. which are cold-water and won't last), astrea (trochus are great too, can flip themselves back over, unlike the astreas) and ceriths; i have 1 big mexican turbo that i think is cool and really cuts through algae if you have problems.. but wouldn't get too many as they tend to knock things over. (look up circuloid hunter's 75 gallon tank thread on RC, he's trying to breed different types of snails and had a great explanation of the different types and why he would/would not recommend..)

hermit crabs people generally say use with caution.. some people don't put any in their tanks for fear they will scavenge corals too, or snails for their shells (or just food).

that being said, i have a few mini-blues and scarlets and they don't seem to bother my corals.. i have lost a few snails (mainly ceriths to the mini-blues), but that makes up in how cool the hermits look while they are going around the tank, so i like them.. but i wouldn't put in more than 5-10 total.. if you have that and still want more then put a few more in later. also, make sure to put some extra shells in your tank.. it allows the hermits to find new homes without the pain and suffering for your snails..

when i was getting my cleanup crew people told me about 1 cleaner/gallon.. worked for me as there will always be a bit of attrition too (especially with snails and hermits together) but overall tank seems to be fine. also, ceriths just laid eggs in my fuge (i got a few snails in there) so may (hopefully) have alot more fish food and a few more snails soon..

bjonesjr1
04/25/2006, 05:47 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank also... and my Clean up crew is
(10) Blue legged Hermit crabs
(2) Mexican Turbo Snails
(3) Sand Sifting Snails
(7) Turbo Astrea Snails
(3) Peppermint Shrimp

I also have a Black spiny sea urchin, but I don't think that counts for a clean up crew... LOL

But with what I have right now they seem to do great in my tank, and I really never have a problem with the tank. I have about 25lbs of LR right now, which I will be adding more soon, untell then I'm not going to add anymore Clean up guys...

Check out my little red house for my project thread on my tank...

Hopefully I've helped

demonboy279
04/25/2006, 04:55 PM
thanks alot everyone

and thats an interesting thread bjones

im still contemplating what my crew will be.

you have led me in the right direction tho.

otterpop510
04/25/2006, 05:17 PM
cool deal, let us know how it goes..

Mike and Tori
04/25/2006, 09:27 PM
reeftopia.com is where I get all of mine.