PDA

View Full Version : a warning to anyone who makes there own lights

goda
04/25/2006, 02:52 PM
"http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/astreafish/DSCK0005.jpg
do you see the problom?
maybe this will help
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/astreafish/DSCK0007.jpg

according to ice cap the bulb MUST BE FLUSH WITH THE END CAP OR ELSE ARCING CAN HAPPEN!!! be careful this isnt "good eonugh" now i have to redo my canopy "

more of this can be seen on my tank thread including how i fixed it without having to redrill :)

anyways. reason i posted this here is when at my lfs i hear people asking what the endcaps shoould do all the time (example " should the bulb compress the spring in the end cap at all)

becareful not only is it a fire hazard but it could hurt your ballast at the very least.

THERE IS NO GOOD ENOUGH WHEN IT COME TO ELECTRICAL! :) good day to you all

fishfinger
04/25/2006, 03:12 PM
They ban babies like me!!

Buh Bye :wavehand:

Nanook was here:)

beard
04/25/2006, 03:15 PM
When building a flo lighting system always mount the end caps with the bulbs in them if posible. If its not atleast mark the locations with the lights in them so there arnt any gaps. I had a simular problem with a hood I got from my brother years ago. If you want to avoid this completly go with the slip on water proof end caps that dont get mounted and use bulb holders.

goda
04/25/2006, 03:20 PM
no you should never use the slip on type. ( i talk to ice cap alot) they say the only thing you should use is mounted end caps

btw these do have water proof covers but they just artn hooked on. ( and i really hope tey deleat taht post by that guy soon... hate seeing a thread ment to help new people go to heck)

goda
04/25/2006, 03:21 PM
woot there it is . nice job mods. you guys work fast

beard
04/25/2006, 03:26 PM
I would like to know the reason for not using slip on as im a electrition and see no problem with them!

Nanook
04/25/2006, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7246287#post7246287 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by goda
woot there it is . nice job mods. you guys work fast

Thanks to great members who let us know this stuff!!!

Dave :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CrOsSwIrE
04/25/2006, 10:21 PM
I didn't even think about that when I built mine. I went over to check them and they are compressing all of the springs. /wipes sweat off of forehead. :)

~mike