PDA

View Full Version : Local lumber yard?

wsurf4me
04/25/2006, 03:35 PM
Anyplace local I can pick up quality wood for a diy stand? I've picked thru the stuff at Lowes and Home Depot, it's tough to find a decent 2x4.

amheck
04/25/2006, 04:11 PM
you looking for quality hardwood, or SYP 2x4's?

Northtampatang
04/25/2006, 04:18 PM
There is a cox lumber in both Tampa and Land O Lakes . . .

wsurf4me
04/25/2006, 05:10 PM
amheck - At this point I'm looking for both, investigating about how much it will cost.

NorthTampaTang - I haven't been to Cox in quite a few years, always assumed it was the same as HD or Lowes, guess I should at least stop and check it out.

amheck
04/25/2006, 05:13 PM
I think the Tampa cox has shut down. If you are talking about the one on Tampa Rd. For nice lumber, check out Woodcraft, Rome Lumber, Weiss Hardwoods.

Northtampatang
04/25/2006, 05:32 PM
There is still another Tampa one as far as I know on Madison . . . .

Cox (http://www.coxlumber.com/)

robthorn
04/27/2006, 05:47 AM
you said the name in your post "quality plywood" not sure of all they have but I got the very nice oak plywood for my stand and canopy from there.

wsurf4me
04/27/2006, 10:59 AM
Rob, I'm sorry but where did you get the oak plywood? Not sure if you mean HD, Lowes, Cox or one of the other stores mentioned.
Did you make your stand? Do you have any pictures? I'm always curious to see how others have done things. I've got ideas on how I want to build mine, mostly based on what I've seen in the DIY thread here, but there's always more than one way to do things.

oceana
04/27/2006, 11:15 AM
Quaility plywood.

HD and lows do carry oak plywood but its not super nice. it is ok though and only 50 bucks a sheet

amheck
04/27/2006, 11:19 AM
Rugby, just north of the airport off of Hillsborough Ave, also carries very nice plywood. Well, at least they used to. They got out of the hardwood lumber business, which really sucked, cause they had the best prices around. But check with them to see if they still carry the plywood.

Thankfully I just got in 250+ feet of walnut lumber, so I'm good to go for a while. :D

robthorn
04/27/2006, 01:04 PM
quality plywood is the name of the place I got it from. I got A1 grade at near $90 per sheet. it is domestic not the foreign junk hd and the big boys carry. the domestic will have very small voids underneath. it's all a lminate but the foreign stuff may have a 5 or 10 inch hole in the second layer and you may push on it sometime and put a hole in it. I have read the stories and figured it was worth $40 extra. plus it's from the good ol USA. I did buy a piece of the lowes stuff for the top and back and the best piece they had has knots in it. the quality plywood stuff had zero flaws on either side. what you do see on the bad side is a lengthwise seam where they put multiple pieces of laminate or skin. there were almost no voids at all when I cut it. maybe 1/16th of an inch was the bigest I cut into. also the lowes stuff looked like pine under the laminate or maybe it was still wet but was kind of greenish when I cut it.