PDA

View Full Version : So.. I want to get a mandrin... or a scooter blenny..

TOURKID
04/25/2006, 06:39 PM
My tank is 6 months old

contents..

1 maroon clown, notices ANYTHING added to the tank, or moved
was pretty mean to a maroon I bought at the same time, havent tried any other fish

1 BTA anemone

hermits

Snails

1 blood shrimp..

2 hitchhiker crabs I have not been able to catch....

sand floor covered in (sigh) crushed coarl

I personally think I have a TON of pods. the maroon doesent eat them, even when floating by

I also have tons of lil white somthings that hang out on the glass.. thousand at least... they just appeared recently

Id rather get a mandrin.. questions for both...

My questions...

Will my crushed coarl floor be bad for either of these fish?

If my pods run low, is algea/flake food/ etc ok?

I am definatly QT'ing anything that enters my tank.. how do I handle this with these kind of fish? I dont want to put sand in my qt....

clord
04/25/2006, 07:25 PM
You really don't need to QT a Mandarin they are very disease resistant. I would not put either in a 46 gallon tank. I have the same tank and I was told by about 100 people unless you like killing fish don't do it. They will not eat any food but pods unless you can find one that eats frozen but good luck with that.
So just look for another fish to put in there. If you want something that eats pods and get a 4 or 6 line wrasse.

TOURKID
04/25/2006, 07:28 PM
NO DONT CARE ABOUT IT EATING PODS, JUST LIKE THE FISH. SO 45 IS TO SMALL HU?

opps, sorry about the caps

scotter blenny too? qting and size of tank?

ACBlinky
04/25/2006, 09:37 PM
I think the reason many people recommend BIG tanks for these guys is that smaller tanks can't support a large enough pod population over time. You can purchase bottled pods, I think there are several companies that offer them. Be prepared to replenish the population regularly, and if you have a 'fuge where they can multiply without being eaten that will help too. I'd make sure that any mandarin or scooter you buy is already eating other foods as well, just so they get enough variety and you know you'll be able to feed them if there's ever a time when the pod population is temporarily low.

TOURKID
04/27/2006, 04:18 PM
bumping up. still need to know about qting these..

snorvich
04/28/2006, 04:11 AM
First of all, even if a Mandarin WILL eat prepared food, that is not adequate nutrition. However finding one that will eat prepared food is HIGHLY unlikely. Your size tank will NOT support either a Mandarin or Scooter Blenny long term. You WILL kill them. Having a 45 gallon refugium would work if you have enough live rock and algae for a copepod population. Buying pods to feed is an expensive proposition. This will cost more than the fish cost.

I have one mandarin in each of my two tanks: 200 with refugium and 320 with refugium. And I worry because I have other fish that eat copepods so I worry about supply.

TOURKID
04/28/2006, 05:17 AM
ok. seals the deal, no scooters or mandrins :( at least I have u guys to be honest. im sure my lfs would LOVE to sell me one :D so, thank you! They are beautiful fish.

MandarinDude
04/28/2006, 11:42 AM
I kept a mandarin in a 30g hex with no refuge no live rock (this was a long time ago) for several years. I was lucky to have found one that would eat prepared foods. I fed mostly frozen foods. He seemed to like blood worms...go figure. Here is a wonderful article: http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_care.html. Pay attention to the link for the Mandarin Diner.

AdidaKev
04/28/2006, 12:11 PM
If you have your heart set on one, even though it may not be the best idea for your size tank, ask the LFS to feed them until you find one that eats frozen foods. However, I wouldn't really recommend it, just because they really do need pods in their diet in order to be happy and healthy.

TOURKID
04/28/2006, 12:45 PM
I feel like my tank is filled with pods, they are climbing all over my poyps and everything, if i move a lil rock, at least 10 scurry away. but I become a lil to attached to fish to put one in a currcumstance that I could kill it. doesent seem fair.

SumpDiver
05/14/2006, 03:45 PM
I assume you guys are talking about a mandrin goby. What about the mandrin dragonete. Is it the same deal with these critters, pods being esential?

For instance, Could either of these two fish be kept in a 50 gallon FOWLR tank with some pods but basically on a prepared food source such as frozen, flake or blood worms?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=246&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=247&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

Excuse my Noobieness.

cardgenius
05/14/2006, 11:17 PM
Mandrin goby and Mandrin dragonete are the same. There really dragonete's but some people call them goby's.