PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove a snowflake eel?

blazemore
04/25/2006, 08:49 PM
I've had a snowflake eel now for a few weeks and it has been doing just fine. It hasn't bothered any of the fish, even when they brush up against its face while its mouth is open. The eel is about 9" long.

Today while feeding the fish, the eel came out like it normally does and was trying to grab some of the mysis shrimp. I usually feed it chunks of krill or a mixture of ground up krill, clams and veggies. I gave it a piece of krill, it swallowed it, and came out for more. I didn't have another piece ready, but what happened next surprised me. It actually came about 7" out of its hole (almost completely straight up) and bit my valentini puffer. It let go immediately, and it didn't even seem to phase the puffer at all (didn't puff at all, just kept swimming for mysis). It might have just been a mistake since the puffer was hovering in one spot for several seconds, but I really don't want that to happen again.

I have a lot of rockwork, but there's one large rock that I could easily remove that he hides in all of the time. I was thinking maybe I can just fill up a 10 gallon and hold the rock over the water until he jumps out. Would that work, or would I need to put the rock in the water and just wait, or try something else? I want to do this as quickly as possible once I start.

Thanks.

Petstorejunkie
04/25/2006, 09:18 PM
the rock idea is a good one.

XtrmCHoPZ
04/26/2006, 12:00 AM
I had a sf go in a rock once while i was trying to remove him. i took the rock out and he wouldnt budge, i had to put it in a separate container and wait for the eel to come out on his own.

SW1TCH
04/26/2006, 12:06 AM
You could try and lure him into a net with a piece of food. My zebra will follow a piece of shrimp on a feeding stick. Untill i let him chach it.

smatter
04/26/2006, 04:14 PM
Go to your local fly shop and have them rig a tiny hook onto some tippet material and crimp the barb. Bait the hook with the eels favorite food and ready your net. Works like a champ everytime with little or no harm to the fish. I have removed a couple of eels this way, along with tangs and even damsels. Good luck.

splateee
04/26/2006, 05:34 PM
I would give the eel another chance. When we feed our zebra eel with the feeding stick our dogface puffer and trigger will also try to eat off the stick and hang out in the same area as we feed the eel even though i try to feed them on the other side of the tank. There have been a couple of times that they have gotten in the way of the eel right when he goes for the food but he lets go right away. As long as the other fish are big enough not to fit in the eels mouth you should be ok.

sunfishh
04/27/2006, 08:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7254279#post7254279 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by splateee
I would give the eel another chance. When we feed our zebra eel with the feeding stick our dogface puffer and trigger will also try to eat off the stick and hang out in the same area as we feed the eel even though i try to feed them on the other side of the tank. There have been a couple of times that they have gotten in the way of the eel right when he goes for the food but he lets go right away. As long as the other fish are big enough not to fit in the eels mouth you should be ok.
I totally agree

John@JP
04/27/2006, 11:52 PM
My SFE and cat shark bite eachother all the time when feeding. As long at is a 'taste' I dont think it is a big deal.

blazemore
04/28/2006, 09:20 AM
Will a snowflake eel's mouth ever become large enough to eat an anthias or maroon clown?

splateee
04/28/2006, 02:11 PM
Those fish will be ok. And if you haven't yet, i would start feeding the eel using a feeding stick instead of just letting float around the tank. We feed our zebra eel this way and he knows that when i have the stick it's time to eat :)

mitzel
04/28/2006, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7258377#post7258377 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sunfishh
I totally agree

I second that . or I guess it would be a third vote actualy

aquaman67
04/29/2006, 07:12 PM
SFEs hunt mostly by smell. They have terrible eyesight. I, as the others, think it was a mistake.

I've seen my SFE do the same thing to a damsel I have. I don't think the eel will ever hurt the puffer and I'd leave him in, but I really like SFEs. They add so much to a tank.

rnelson
04/30/2006, 09:47 PM
I have a 14" SFE that will sometimes bump fish out of the way if they get too close to her, but I've never seen her bite any fish. They are crustacean eaters for the most part and don't have alot of interest in fish. I agree that their eyesight is pretty bad.....mine eats from my hand, but has missed a couple of times :rolleyes:

I also have a 30" Zebra eel that is the most gentle soul in the tank. Every once in awhile a fish will get near its hole and it gently brushes up against it with its head to try to move it. Lately my SFE and Zebra have been hanging out in the same hole, side by side.....its really funny to see.

To answer the question, put a big piece of shrimp in the back of a net and wave it in front of the SFE.....it will smell it (and maybe see it) and go for it, then just scoop it.

edwar050
04/30/2006, 11:31 PM
I would hand feed the puffer, might make it easier to take the food away.

mike 7
05/01/2006, 09:33 AM
target feed the eel, he wont bother the other fish that way.

His eye sight is very very poor and he is just grabbing whats near by, because he can smell the food.

Mike

RGBMatt
05/01/2006, 01:21 PM
I agree that you can keep the eel. They normally don't eat fish, and if it bites one by accident it'll figure out its mistake and let go pretty quick.

If you do have to remove it, using a small baited hook is pretty foolproof. They'll go right for it, and even if you miss a couple of times the eel usually isn't fazed and you can try again. I've used this method many times when catching eels in the wild, and it's sure to work just as well in the aquarium. Just make sure to pinch down the barb so it doesn't get stuck.