PDA

View Full Version : An exercise in miscommunication

poconofishy
04/26/2006, 01:45 AM
This exercise is from a training course in business communications.
What does this sentence mean?

"I didn't say she took the money."

The answer is: We don’t know.

Say the sentence out loud. Emphasize the word in bold and hesitate before finishing the rest of the sentence.

"I didn't say she took the money”
Translate as “not ‘it’” = acknowledges someone may have made the statement, but it wasn’t me.

Translate as “denial” = I did not make that statement.

Translate as “partially correct” = I didn’t say the statement, … but I wrote the statement.

Translate as “wrong person” = I didn’t say (Wilma) took the money, someone other than Wilma took the money, perhaps Betty took the money.

Translate as “incorrect action” = she may have stole the money, or she may have left the money, she may have refused the money, but she didn’t take the money.

Translate as “specific” = she took $20.00, not the specific money (for example, the $10,000 we need for the new car.)

Translate as “incorrect object” = she took something else; she took the honey, not the money.

One small little sentence, numerous different interpretations

Rhinecanthus
04/26/2006, 06:26 AM
Interesting. Thats why I find it so funny when people "fight" on the internet. There are a dozen ways to read something, or read into something, and a dozen ways some other guy will interpret it!

Fizz71
04/26/2006, 07:00 AM
Yeah...that's why I TRY to use uppercase in my sentances when I think it's important to emphasize a certain word.

Of course....then I get trashed for YELLING when it's not really yelling. :)

--Fizz

tnyr5
04/26/2006, 03:25 PM
use italics silly :-P

Barney121
04/26/2006, 04:03 PM
Heh, I love the example. For all we love the internet and the written word, it does invite problems sometimes!

Fizz71
04/27/2006, 06:41 AM
Italics and bold get tossed out of some email clients.... And besides...with as much as I type sometimes holding the shift key for two seconds is MUUUUUCH easier than messing with tags. :)

--Fizz