PDA

View Full Version : Skimmerless SPS tanks pics and experiences

jimboreefer
04/26/2006, 08:40 AM
I have recently turned off my skimmer. Been running it for almost 1.5 years and it never has produce very much material. I know alot of others run thier tanks skimmerless. Just wanted see what others have experienced, and please share photos

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/Jimboreefer/reef2.jpg

sneeyatch
04/26/2006, 09:49 AM
i ran my 37 gallon mixed reef skimmerless for about a year. didn't have any major issues except the phosphates really started climbing after about 8 months. never could find the source (i think it was the rock).

most sps did not exhibit good coloration - but some. the softies exploded with growth and color. lps did fine too.

i also did 20% weekly water changes, and ran carbon all the time. toward the end, i started running phosban. it can be done, but it's more work on your end.

hopefully it's the 40 gallon in your profile. i think 29 gallons to about 55 gallons can get away with no skimmer as long as there are weekly water changes. anything smaller and larger than those sizes need a skimmer imo.

some older pics in my gallery

TCU Reefer
04/26/2006, 09:56 AM
jimbob, what kind of skimmer were you running? 1.5 years and it didn't skim much? There's always something to skim.

Cody Ray
04/26/2006, 02:00 PM
It doesn't look like there are very many fish in his system. I had the same problem a couple months ago. After adding a couple fish and feeding more often my skimmer really kicked in.

jimboreefer
05/01/2006, 09:10 AM
There are only 3 fish, however I do feed heavily. Intersting point about the corals not exhibiting colors though. Doesn't Tyree run his tanks skimmerless?

FastFish720
05/01/2006, 11:58 AM
Jimbo, your tank looks awesome. What is the neon green coral in the middle of the sand? Is it a brain, lobo, or some sort of trumpet?

cfishrun
05/01/2006, 12:14 PM
I'd say definately Caulastrea sp. (aka: Trumpet / Candy Cane coral). Probalby either curvata or furcata.

aural
05/01/2006, 12:49 PM
in my experience if the skimmer isnt pulling anything out of the water it is either not adjusted correctly or something else mechanical is wrong.

jimboreefer
05/02/2006, 08:41 AM
fastfish, thanks for the complement, the coral is a Caulastrea, the skimmer does produce some skimmate, but never to the degree that I see describe by others. And in my opinion from what I've seen the skimmate in many skimmers is very clear (more tank water than actual waste material).

Justin/TiV
05/02/2006, 09:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7288924#post7288924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimboreefer
fastfish, thanks for the complement, the coral is a Caulastrea, the skimmer does produce some skimmate, but never to the degree that I see describe by others. And in my opinion from what I've seen the skimmate in many skimmers is very clear (more tank water than actual waste material).

if the water in the skimmer is very clear thats prolly a little to wet. I run mine wet as I can to where it's still really green