PDA

View Full Version : Reef chemistry calculator problem

lewisdw
04/26/2006, 12:34 PM
Wasn't sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but I will...

I'm trying to use the reef chemistry calculator http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html, but it's not working for me (fill in numbers, click on one of the 'calculate' buttons, nothing happens). I've checked all the applicable web browser (firefox) settings, not blocking javascript, etc. I've e-mailed the address listed on the website, still waiting on a reply.

In the interim, is there another similar calculator to this one?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2006, 12:51 PM
Works for me right now.

Exactly what did you enter? Did you enter a product?

lewisdw
04/26/2006, 12:58 PM
Randy,

Thanks for the reply. It may be that my work is blocking something it requires at the firewall, but I tried it from home last night with the same results. Strange.

Anyway, I entered:

70 gallons for water volume
Current Alk: 6 meq/L
Desired Alk: 4 meq/L

Product: Randy's Recipe 2 Alkalinity Part

then click on 'Calculate'. Nothing happens and no results are displayed.

Am I missing something obvious?

Billybeau1
04/26/2006, 01:10 PM
Yes. The calculator is for raising not lowering. If the current number is higher than the desired number, you wont get an answer.

lewisdw
04/26/2006, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7252442#post7252442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Yes. The calculator is for raising not lowering. If the current number is higher than the desired number, you wont get an answer.

You are correct! I did not realize this. Thanks.

If my Calcium is reading 400-420, and Alk is 6 meq/L, should I just wait and it will lower itself over time, or do something else?

Billybeau1
04/26/2006, 01:44 PM
How did it get that high ? Are you sure your test kit is OK ? Maybe test a batch of newly mixed salt water. If it is indeed that high, it will fall on its own in a matter of a week or two.

DrBDC
04/26/2006, 02:57 PM
Are you sure you're not reading dKh as meg/L? If it is meg/L it will fall on it's own. If it is dKh that the test measures, you'll want to raise it some.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2006, 06:13 PM
Assuming it is meq/L and not dKH, then just wait. Otherwise, enter dKh and set a higher target. :)