PDA

View Full Version : Limewater vs Randy's Two Part - Which One or Both?

dougwilliams
04/26/2006, 01:49 PM
I've been reading Randy's articles over the last few days and find all are incredibly well written, provide great explanations. His supporting scientific evidence, tests, reserach and explanations provide great support of all of his points.

I've learned a vast amount - however, I'm confused as to the application of Limewater vs. Randy's Two Part solutions. Basically, I dont understand what necessitates both? The core of either "product" seems to be stable and balanced dosing of Calcium and Alkalinity. If they both do that equally - what reasons would I have for needing both? (For the time being, I'm neglecting the added benefit of the two part solution's magnesium supplement).

DrBDC
04/26/2006, 03:04 PM
Some choose one over the other. i.e. if your pH tends to run on the high side, I would use the 2 part. But those that use both are usually limited by how much limewater can be added to the system. If you only evaporate 1 gallon per day but your tank uses the ca and alk equivelent of what would take 2 gallons per day then you'll need to add that ca/alk in another form. You can try to increase evaporation so that you can add more lime, or you can "super saturate" the limewater using the 45 ml of vinegar. But if your tank demand is still higher than you can provide with the limewater you'll need to either move up to using the 2 part in addition to the limewater or go to a calcium reactor.

Don't ignore the magnesium levels of the tank as if it falls it will decrease how much ca and alk you can maintain in the water. Test for it and replace it for it does get used up and then you will have problems keeping the ca/alk levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/26/2006, 06:16 PM
Either is a fine way to go. I use limewater with my auto topoff. If you do not want to buy such a system or have a small tank, a two part may be less expensive if you make your own. For a high demand system like a lot of SPS, limewater alone may not be enough.

I compare the different methods here:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

I've been reading Randy's articles over the last few days and find all are incredibly well written, provide great explanations.

Thanks. :)

OracleOCA
04/27/2006, 04:08 PM
Randy,

I am using your recipe #1 and my pH is still low ~7.9 - 8.0. I have the windows open and plenty of surface movement. Can I supplement lime with the two-part and if so, how much for 65 gallons of water if I have a mixed demand tank?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/28/2006, 05:13 AM
Yes, using limewater would be a good way to raise the pH. You might try replacing most evaporated water with slowly added limewater containing 1-2 level teaspoons lime per gallon of limewater.

How are you measuring pH? Did you try the aeration tests in this article?

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

OracleOCA
04/28/2006, 09:05 AM
I am measuring my pH by a meter that is connected to my ReefKeeper 2 and I did calibrate it fine. I purchased a brand new probe. No, I have not tried the aeration tests yet but I am assuming I have CO2 in my house that is causing the low pH problem.

Due to evaporation, I usually add one gallon per day of RO in the morning and in the evening. Is there anyway I can add kalk to my RO water (one gallon) and not have to use the drip method without it affecting the pH too high? Plus, I would like to dose your Recipe #1 daily. I have a 13 gallon sump. My alkalinity measures around 10 - 11 KH.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/28/2006, 10:11 AM
You can add a little lime to that manual addition, but too much will spike the pH too high.

OracleOCA
04/28/2006, 10:44 AM
Would 1 tsp. per gallon be too much or should I cut it down to 1/4 tsp or 1/8 tsp. if I dose two times a day?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/28/2006, 11:04 AM
Adding 1.2 % of the tank volume in saturated limewater (2 tsp per gallon) will boost the pH instantly by about 0.6 pH units or so. Adding 1/4 of that amount should be OK.

OracleOCA
04/28/2006, 11:22 AM
Thank you. I will then add 1/2 tsp. of kalk per 1 gallon of RO/DI. And it is okay to continue dosing your Recipe #1 (all 3 parts) as well dependent upon my tank needs?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/28/2006, 11:26 AM
Yes, that sounds like a good plan. :)