PDA

View Full Version : How much Kalk?

michnstev
04/26/2006, 02:49 PM
We have our tank set up and I have the kalkwasser. But I don't know how much to add to the water when I mix it up and I don't know how fast to set the drip. The package doesn't give any real helpful information. Any and all suggestion are appreciated.
Thanks!!!

michnstev
04/26/2006, 02:51 PM
BTW: we have a 65 gal with a 30 gal sump. My calcium reading this morning was 375.

MattG
04/26/2006, 04:24 PM
usually 1-2 tsp of kalk powder per gallon of water will get you saturated. I cant answer how much to drip because it will depend upon your individual tank. Keeping an eye on your Ph is the best indication of how much kalk water you can add to your system. I would start off very slow and adjust accordingly.

Wryknow
04/26/2006, 04:30 PM
A general rule is to add 1 - 2 tbls per gallon to fresh RO water, stir it well and then let it settle for a good 24 hours. Use the mix as your top-off water. Exactly how much Kalk you use depends on how much calcium your system consumes as well as how much evaporation your system has. Start with one tbls per gallon and monitor your calcium level. If it keeps going up then I would start reducing the amount of Kalk at about 425ppm or so and try to get a steady state at around 450ppm.
I would recommend using a float-valve in the sump instead of trying to use a drip system. The drip can be done but it will require a LOT of fiddling and the amount that you need to add will change based on the humidity, temperature, atmospheris pressure, etc.

CarmieJo
04/26/2006, 04:37 PM
You might want to listen to the TalkingReef podcast Episode 13 on kalk and/or watch the video podcast Episode 44 on a DIY kalk doser. If you don't have an iPod or other player you can download iTunes and listen/watch from your computer. Both the podcasts and iTunes are free. You can click on my little red house for the link.

:fish1:

dead beat reef
04/26/2006, 11:24 PM
I know I am lazy. If its easy to use I use it. You might like a
pre mixed supp. to hold alk. I add 3 cap fulls 2 times a week
test every 6 weeks. Easy. Seachem makes a product I use and
trust. Hows your cal? dbr

Randall_James
04/26/2006, 11:30 PM
dosing seems to work fine for the majority of makeup water on most systems (1-4% of tank volume per 24hrs)
Dosing (IMO) is best done at night to control PH. Although kalk adds CA, it is only good at maintaining levels in my SPS tanks at best and is a poor additive for increasing levels.
A Toms Aqua lifter pump and a timer (DT17 Intermatic in my case) dosing for 2 to 4 minutes every hour overnight has been ultra reliable for me over the last 2 years with no failures.

This is ONLY HOW MINE IS SETUP and your milage may vary and likely someone will say it does not work....

bertoni
04/26/2006, 11:33 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

That article talks about dosing lime (kalk). You'll need to tune the dosage for the tank. I have three autotopoff systems delivering limewater. One get 1 tsp per 5 gallons, another gets 3 tsp, and the final one gets 5 tsp. The last two also get some vinegar to reduce the pH dose.

My advice is to start with perhaps 1 tsp per gallon, and watch the tank pH very closely when you start to drop, say, after 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, and so on. If the pH rises too quickly, some vinegar in the mix will help. The alkalinity tests should tell you how strong a mix you need.

Bathel
04/27/2006, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7253872#post7253872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wryknow
A general rule is to add 1 - 2 tbls per gallon to fresh RO water, stir it well and then let it settle for a good 24 hours.

I think you ment Teaspoon not Tablespoon.