PDA

View Full Version : Help converting a Top-it-Off kit

benraines
04/26/2006, 08:06 PM
I recently purchased a Top-it-Off Kit Basic purchased from Premium Aquatics with the intentions of using it to turn my sump pump on and off under certain conditions.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/71160TopOffKit2.JPG

The two I-float switches in the picture were intended to be used to turn on a pump to put RO water in a sump when it gets low.. of coursed their are more parts needed for this.. But this is all I need for what I am intending to do..

What I want to do is use the switches to turn off my return pump in my sump if the water gets too low in the sump or too high in my tank...

So I will have one float switch in my sump and one in my aquarium.

I already have the floats setup to work correctly...

What I need to figure out is a way to setup the floats in the sump and the aquarium...

My sump is a 45 gallon plast container and my aquarium is a 125 gallon aquarium....

So I am looking for ideas on how to setup the switches....

Avast Marine
04/26/2006, 10:13 PM
Are you trying to figure out how to mount them? Or how to set them up to control a pump? It's just not clear to me.

benraines
04/27/2006, 04:44 AM
Trying to figure out the best way to mount them...

Sorry..

Wording wasn't the best...

Was trying to watch a new CSI at the same time...

hmott
04/27/2006, 06:33 AM
I drilled a hole in a piece of acrylic, maybe 5 inches long and 2 inches wide, and threaded the float switch onto that. Then I measured my tank lip and bent the piece of acrylic to fit.

benraines
04/27/2006, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7257702#post7257702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hmott
I drilled a hole in a piece of acrylic, maybe 5 inches long and 2 inches wide, and threaded the float switch onto that. Then I measured my tank lip and bent the piece of acrylic to fit.

That might work...

How thick of plastic did you use...

onegreenray
04/27/2006, 08:11 PM
i did something along the lines of what ben raines said for a buddy. i used 1/8 inch acrlic from home depot. but i think the 1/4 inch is what i am going to use next time.

Avast Marine
04/28/2006, 12:47 AM
Premium aquatics sells the same kit as floatswitch.net Here is what they sell for $3.95. Not to expensive or you could just use it as a design to do what hmott is explaining.

Mold-a-Holder (http://www.aquahub.com/store/moldaholder9.html)

douggiestyle
04/28/2006, 06:16 AM
ypu can also use a piece of pvc pipe. use 1/2" and use a (i think those float switches are 3/8" npt) 1/2" to 3/8" female npt fitting. remove the nut on the switch. thread the wires up through the pipe and screw the float in. at this point you can do a couple things. one would be to add a couple elbows to the pipe and hang it.

hmott
04/28/2006, 06:27 AM
I used 1/4" acrylic. I had to put a plastic screw into the back to tighten it down nice, kinda like the overflow boxes do sometimes. Its can't be seen so its not exactly pretty but it works great.