PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Glass...

Chromed1
04/27/2006, 06:48 AM
I have a few minor surface sratches on my glass aquarium. Has anyone had success with getting scratches out? Is there a buffing compound or pad or something that I am not finding? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

SaltyMember
04/27/2006, 08:09 AM
I have a few external scratches on my glass and was wondering the same thing.

M.Anderson
04/27/2006, 08:37 AM
Take a look at this thread, it may be of help.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=816400

M.Anderson

Chromed1
04/28/2006, 09:24 AM
M.Anderson,

Thanks for the link... I looked at the info and it states that light scratches do come out. I am ordering the cerium oxide in a few minutes. For the $20 and the time, I am willing to try it. My scratches are really small and not deep at all. I have little to lose. I will post an update after the buffing is done if anyone is interested. Thanks again...

M.Anderson
04/28/2006, 11:20 AM
Your welcome for the link, Chromed1. Do let us know how things went after you try this method. I am still debating if I am up to the challenge. Well good luck and keep us informed.

M.Anderson

Chromed1
04/28/2006, 12:14 PM
I actually called a jeweler in the area that does a lot with diamonds. He told me that for small surface scratches it is amazing. They use a fancier Dremel type of tool with the polishing pads. From what I understand the key is not the brute force strength. The key to it is the high RPM polishing effect. I will definitely update the thread after I experiment. I ordered the cerium oxide and should have it early next week.

SaltyMember
04/28/2006, 01:50 PM
Let us know how it works out.

Chromed1
05/03/2006, 05:25 PM
Cerium Oxide has arrived $28 and going to try some polishing tonight. I will update in a few days.

horkn
05/03/2006, 08:21 PM
you should be well practiced on the buffing part from polishing your chrome bits on your bike;)

I am loooking forward to the results:)

Chromed1
05/03/2006, 08:36 PM
Ah yes!!! Spent many an hour polishing chrome. I am sure you can relate.

Chromed1
05/03/2006, 08:42 PM
Polished a bit tonight on the glass and they aint lyin about tough. I think that my chrome parts would have been done by now. It definitely appears that this is working some already. A few scratches are a lot samller than they used to be. VERY TIME INTENSIVE!!! I have almost 2 hrs on a panel that is 24" tall by 13" wide. I am trying a new air tool tip tomorrow by 3M that was recommended. I have a small test piece that I scratched for experimentation. I will update in case anyone is still interested.

horkn
05/03/2006, 09:29 PM
let me send you my Yoshimura headers off my TL. the SS needs a bit of shineyness;)

Chromed1
05/08/2006, 10:04 AM
FYI... For those that wanted the update on cerium oxide and scratch repair. I would advise that if you have scratches and want them out buy a new tank. This has been a very long and physical process. There is no shortcut and the polishing takes forever and a day. The results are not overwhelmingly significant and for the time investment it is not worth the effort. Some of my scratches are much smaller but, I have not removed any completely. My hands are sore, my drill is in pain and I have chewed through a ton of polishing pads. So... I am now $40 poorer and could have invested the $40 towards a new tank. I hope this update helps someone else decide to save their time and money. If you have any questions feel free to fire away.

Toast_Man
05/08/2006, 11:14 AM
These guys have a DIY kit that looks good...I had a tank with scratches that I was going to polish out but I sold the tank and the new owner is going to take care of the scratches

http://www.gtglass.com/scratchRemoval.htm