PDA

View Full Version : transfered my mantis....HELP!

Isis
04/30/2002, 12:00 PM
I recently transfered my manits from a 10 gln tank to a 20 gln tank and now he won't come out! it has been two days now. I even check on the tank at night to see if he comes out then but no luck. what can I do? I don't want him to die. He hasn't eaten since Saturday(4/27) and I haven't seen him since sunday am when we moved his house into the new tank. How long until he gets used to his new tank? he has lots of snails and crabs to eat. We even had 5 small damsels in it before we put his rock in. all the damsels are fine and I am hoping this is just a phase. we did move his rock around trying to find the hole he used but we can't find it so we put it upright so he can escape out of all the holes in the rock and not be stuck. HELP! I don't want him to die!:confused:

ADHybrid
04/30/2002, 12:05 PM
Well, maybe your mantis is about to molt. I've heard about mantis's not being seen for days only to be discovered later after they molted. If it is a clubber that lives DEEP in the rocks..he may be expanding his home. I cought a TINY 1 inch mantis in my reef aquarium yesterday and he had quite a large amount of tunnels and chambers in the rock. He must have been working on it for months to even years so thats why I didn't see him earlier. Dont worry, just keep checking. I'm sure it'll eventually come out.

Scotty
04/30/2002, 06:19 PM
I have moved mantis several times tank to tank and they HATE it. They are territorial creatures of habit and they like to find things where they left them. New water, new surroundings , sounds, lights... . Keep the commotion down round his new tank. He won't eat till he gets comfy. You'll know he's cool when he starts to move things around.
Good luck. Long live the Bug!
S

Isis
04/30/2002, 11:29 PM
So how long should I wait? I just don't want to wait to long and then find out something bad happened to him because of my moving him from one tank to another...:confused:

nevermind. We moved his rock around and found him, good as he was. So I fed him a hermit crab and he's now snapping it opened! Yippie! I thought I might have killed him! Thanks guys for all your help!:D :D :D :D :D :D